‘We’ll get through this loss together’: Hart family release statement following Ohio State student Madie Hart’s death

They did not comment on the accusations made against their daughter

At 2am on Sunday, March 26th, Ohio State freshman Madie Hart was struck by a car in Cincinnati in front of the Aronoff Center. Her death is currently being investigated as a homicide. Since her death, accusations of her instigating a fight with her assailant prior to her accident have been made.

The Tab Ohio State reached out to the Hart family for comment, and received an official statement from their family’s spokesperson earlier today.

The family has chosen not to comment on the criminal investigation while it is ongoing, and have decided instead to focus on their loss and the three lives Maddie saved by being an organ donor.

The statement reads in full:

“I am at work and have seen a few requests for different things via text and voicemail. I want to be responsive and thought I would respond to everyone at once:

“The Harts are not going to comment on the criminal investigation while it is ongoing. They have faith in the process and will wait for a decision from the grand jury.

“Their focus remains on Madie and the irreparable hole her loss has left in their lives. They continue to be overwhelmed by all of the support that they have received. In this most difficult of times, they continue to ask for everyone’s prayers.

“Madie’s father, Steve, gave Madie’s eulogy at the funeral on Wednesday. He recalled how she told him that it was “hip” to be an organ donor when they were at the BMV together – getting her license. He remembered smiling at that comment when she made it. Steve also told the crowded church that because of Madie’s choice, three people have been given another chance at life, and two others have sight. He looks forward to meeting and hugging these people someday.

“Steve also remarked that the extended Hart family is more than 100 people strong – and that the family would get through this loss together.

Thanks, Brad”

Ohio State