Barnard senior Jessi Dietrich dies

It happened early this morning

Barnard senior Jessi Dietrich passed away early this morning. A Florida native, she was a psychology major who served as vice president for the Pre-Vet Society.

Barnard President Debora Spar and College Dean Avis Hinkson shared the news in an email, encouraging those seeking support to reach out to the Furman Counseling Center at Barnard and to stop by for a listening session in the Dean’s office today at 4pm. Counseling and Psychological Services at Columbia will also be open this week.

They wrote: “We know that this news is extraordinarily upsetting and hard to process. When we lose a member of our community, we are all affected by the loss.

“Jessi loved Barnard. She was a psychology major who did research in the department, and she had a strong interest in animals, serving as vice president for the Pre-Vet Society. And Jessi was also most certainly a friend to many of you.

“Please know that there is no right or wrong way to mourn. If you need support or counseling do not hesitate to reach out. The staff members in the Furman Counseling Center (barnard.edu/counsel, 212-854-2092), and Dean of Studies office (barnard.edu/dos, 212-854-2024) are ready and waiting to help, either in person or by phone.

“We know that many of you are away this week, but for those on campus, feel free to stop by the Dean’s Office (105 Milbank) today from 4:00-6:00 pm. for a listening session.

“We join with all members of the Barnard and Columbia community in mourning this tragic loss, and extend our deepest condolences to Jessi’s family and friends.”

Columbia University