Should I transfer schools?

Are you totally over your school and debating a change?

college transfer

You thought you found the perfect school for you, but you're half way through first semester and you're not feeling it. You've been thinking , "should I transfer schools?." Is it worth the potential hassle or do you just need a few weeks to fall back in love with campus? Here's some questions you should honestly consider before switching schools.

What are the things that you like about your college or university?

You picked this school for a reason. Do those reasons still apply after hanging on campus for a few months? Each school is different and you should really take a look at the activities, clubs, and social scene. If there are things that you'd hate to lose if you transferred maybe consider staying. On the other hand, if you've become totally disillusioned with campus since you got there it might be time to research where you'd want to go.

Why do you think you're not into it anymore?

Freshman year can be a total whirlwind and there are going to be things at every university that you can't stand. There's always going to be a professor who's class is just the worst and the food can't always live up to mom's cooking. If you're having fundamental issues with your school and don't see a solution in sight, try chatting with an admissions counselor or your advisor and see if they have any recommendations. They're there to help!

Do you already have potential transfer schools in mind?

If you can't stop thinking about the school that got away aka the one you almost went to, then it might be worth a transfer. You could find your place at a different university and be totally happy. Reach out to admissions reps at the schools you're interested in and ask them about their transfer process. If you have problems with your current school, ask the other schools how things are done there and see if there's a difference. A rep will be able to tell you if their college could be the change you need.

What's the social scene at your current scene like?

Do you have friends you geniunely like or are you totally miserable? It can take time to form real friendships, especially freshman year. It can be tough, but consider branching outside your social circle to see if there's a crowd you'd be more comfortable with. If you don't think you'll ever find your group then a transfer to a different university might vibe with you better.

There is zero shame in trasferring and students do it for a thousand different reasons. Don't think you're a failure or there's something wrong with you. You didn't mesh with your first school and there's nothing wrong with that. Telling your parents can absolutely be nerve-wrecking, but do you really want to keep silent for four years if you're going to be utterly miserable? College is going to be a major part of your life so if you're doubting your choice: research, ask around, and make the best choice for you.