Former Mizzou student sues Kappa Alpha fraternity for alleged hazing incident

He had a blood alcohol level of 0.41

Brandon Zingale, a former University of Missouri student and Kappa Alpha pledge, filed a lawsuit on Thursday, July 28th against the Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity for the injuries he sustained in Fall of 2016 as a pledge.

On the night of September 27, 2016 into the next morning, Zingale suffered from severe alcohol poisoning after being forced to drink excessive amounts of alcohol during the pledging process.

Zingale was found the next morning, unconscious, covered in urine, and foaming from the mouth, and was brought to the hospital. When Zingale arrived at the hospital, more than ten hours after he initially started drinking, he had a blood alcohol level of 0.41 percent.

For reference, a blood alcohol content above 0.25 percent is considered to be alcohol poisoning. Anything over 0.4 percent can result in the onset of a coma or death due to respiratory arrest.

Zingale's lawsuit claims that the Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity and the University of Missouri were aware of the dangerous drinking tradition that comes with pledging but they had not done anything to stop it.

The University of Missouri has since investigated Kappa Alpha Order, discovering the fraternity has violated many other regulations. As a result, Kappa Alpha Order will no longer be recognized on the University of Missouri's campus for the next five years.

The Tab has reached out to Brandon Zingale for a comment.