Britney Spears shaved her head exactly 10 years ago today

She sparked sympathy, memes, and a national dialogue about mental health

You’ve seen the meme. ‘If Britney can get through 2007, you can get through this day’ it says, accompanied by the infamous picture of music icon Britney Spears holding a razor to her head.

This storied moment in pop culture history is now a decade old, and it’s probably be a safe bet to assume it’ll still be talked about years from now.

The conversation around the incident has shifted though, maybe along with our political climate. Where Britney’s so-called ‘breakdown’ was once a punchline, it’s now a talking point for mental health awareness. 2007 was about making fun of her head-shaving, the episode in which she attacked a pap’s car with her umbrella, and her dazed, slow-moving VMA performance, it’s now virtually taboo to speak of her mental health break with anything other than thoughtful sympathy — as Katy Perry discovered over Grammy’s weekend.

Because of our shifting attitude, on this day of remembrance, let’s look back on Britney’s turbulent few years with pride, and honestly, inspiration. It’s been meme’d and made fun of, but through a lens of empathy, it’s actually a powerful message to think of Britney getting through a harrowing time and coming out stronger on the other side.

Since her head-shaving incident, she’s raised two beautiful sons, released a slew of best-selling albums and singles, curated a fucking excellent Instagram, regained control of her life, and yes, even grew back her iconic, glistening blonde mane. Let Britney’s fall from grace and subsequent triumphant return be an example, an inspiration to us all. It’s [insert your name here], bitch.