Everything you miss about the big city when you live in a small country town

I’ve seen one too many bales of hay

You’ve probably heard my complaints about how much I miss home when I’m up North in the city. But since I’ve been home, I’ve compiled a lengthy list of grievances of living in a small, country town.

This is what I miss most about living in a city.

A sufficient Dunkin’ Donuts

I don’t know how they do it, but our Dunkins’ have coffee ready in under 30 seconds. Here, my medium iced coffee shouldn’t take four minutes via drive thru.

ALSO, when I say I want “sugar” added, I don’t mean actual sugar. TBT to eighth grade chemistry when we all learned that sugar particles do not dissolve in cold liquids. SIMPLE SYRUP PLZ. LET ME MAKE THAT CLEAR NEXT TIME.

Dunkin gives us samples all the time. #BlessUp

Walking

I never knew how much of a hassle driving everywhere was until I came back home for my first break. Road rage is so real and will completely kill your vibe the whole day, but in the city, your main mode of transportation is your own two feet.

Walking is so nice (unless it’s raining/snowing that day), you basically get a nice little workout everyday. Also, on-campus drivers stop for YOU.

The best part? It’s free. And what word is more exciting to a college student than “free?”

Ubering everywhere

Speaking of transportation, if you ever need to go more than a few blocks away, Uber will get you anywhere you need to be across the city in under 10 minutes. I don’t even remember how I lived before Uber.

It has saved me from being late to Easter Service and to practice at 7am.

AND Uber drivers are always so nice. I like to talk and I’ve met some awesome natives who drive on the side and have insight about the city.

One driver even gave me his Ludacris CD because I’m from Atlanta. I don’t have a CD player, but you have to admit that’s lit.

SO. MUCH. TO. DO.

In the city, the world is your oyster. I get anxiety just thinking about all the different places I haven’t been yet. Restaurants, activities, you name it.

Among my favs are all the brunch locations. And what Southerner can deny a brunch date? Answer: none.

During the Fourth of July weekend, my friends and I decided to go brunching at Green Eggs Cafe and then we decided to walk around Olde City just because we had nothing else to do.

We ran into a reenactment group in front of the National Convention Center and even talked about muskets. Then we found out admission was free at the Convention Center and spent hours learning and exploring.

Afterwards, we came across a bench that was labeled “Once Upon A Story” and we sat and listened to a few minutes of a historical story from one of their storytellers. After he gave us a flag, he said: “If you find all 13 of our bench locations, you’ll get 13 stars for your flag and then you get a free carousel ride at Franklin Square.”

We were easily the oldest of every audience member by 10 years, but you better believe we got that free ride. Worth all eight miles walked and all six hours.

Where else can you befriend the Pope?!

Food trucks

Where else can you get any type of food on the street for five dollars? So good and convenient.

BYOST

Although, the food trucks at Spruce Street Harbor Park charge three dollars for sweet tea, so I brought my own.

Grubhub

One night when I got back home in Georgia, I pulled up the Grubhub app at 1am and was quickly disappointed.

Maybe it’s bad it’s so accessible that it’s a habit for me when I’m hungry. Or maybe it’s GREAT because whoever came up with the idea of delivering food was a genius. Also, shout out Jimmy John’s for helping me make it through the winter. Your dedicated, freaky-fast rain/snow/shine delivery is always appreciated.

Having places to dress up for

You know all those nice dresses you own but have never had a place to wear them to? OR all the Urban Decay pallets you got for Christmas but never really have a good excuse to use? The city will fix that.

Not seeing someone you know every place you go

I know, I’m such a hypocrite. I always talk about how nobody is nice in the city, and nobody opens doors or cracks a smile, but honestly WHO REALLY WANTS TO HAVE A HALF-HEARTED CONVO WITH YOUR HIGH SCHOOL FRENEMY AT PUBLIX?

And also, it’s so nice to be able to bum it everywhere because you know nobody you know will see you…until one day you look like death and you see everyone and their mom at the dining hall. How does life always seem to work that way?

Groutfits for days

Photo ops

There’s only so many pictures you can take in the miles of fields in your small hometown.

My senior pics or an advertisement for FarmersOnly.com? You decide.

In the city, almost everywhere can be a good background for a picture. Even in front of a row of restaurants. My Instagram is 100x better than it was before I lived in the city.

I know I’m always complaining about you, but I am so glad you introduced me to this life. What would I do without you (or Wawa at 4am while I’m writing all my papers I’ve procrastinated on for a semester)? You’ll never be my hometown, but you’ll always be in my heart.

Thank you, Philly :’)