How to go back to college after studying abroad

‘I’m different, but nothing else has changed’

This last semester I studied abroad in London, only to come home to an incredible NYC nightlife now that I am 21, but in just three weeks I will be heading back to the ‘real world’ of books, classes, and no sleep.

My semester in London was packed with new experiences, life lessons, and a whole lot of adventuring. And although many of my peers thought studying abroad would be a piece of cake, I still had plenty of difficult and thought-provoking classes and professors.

My flat on Collingham Road in London

The entire experience was incredible. I was able to travel through Europe and the U.K., making my way through cities like Rome, Barcelona, Paris, Dublin, Oxford, Stonehenge, Wells, and more.

Just like in the Harry Potter movies (almost)

‘Hello from the other side’

From living in my own flat and buying groceries at Sainsbury’s and Waitrose, to exploring all of the big and small attractions, I can confidently say that London is my second favorite city (NYC will always be number one).

London is cleaner, friendlier, and sometimes even faster in terms of transportation. Being away made me feel like a true Londoner – except I didn’t come back with the British accent I’d hoped to acquire.

Outside of Oxford University, England

While traveling – although I felt like I was on vacation many times – I knew I was also on a journey of self-discovery.

In many ways, I learned things that I never could have learned in Ithaca; I learned about what I can handle, especially in foreign countries and cities where the people, places and things are new to me.

The Colosseum

Eiffel Tower, Paris

When it was time to return to the states and my hometown, NYC, I felt ready, yet sad. I was leaving a big part of me behind and I wasn’t sure when I would be back.

Packing was surreal; everything had gone by so quickly, and now reality was calling me home.

The end of it all didn’t really hit me until I landed in NYC and realized I was no longer roaming the London tube stations or sitting in my flat.

Learning to craft the perfect pint of Guinness in Dublin

The first few weeks back I felt like a foreigner. Some things had changed slightly, but everyone was practically the same.

It wasn’t them being the same that bothered me – I’ve always loved these people for who they are – it was that I was fundamentally different.

My friends and family said they didn’t notice anything different about me, but I did. It’s hard to explain unless you have studied abroad yourself, but if you have, you know exactly what I am talking bout.

I liked different things, I’d learned new things, I had experienced exciting places, and I had met so many new people who opened up my eyes to things I’d never realized.

Dublin blew me away

I worked hard to re-accustom myself to the NYC mindset, and I made it a point to not talk about London too much.

It helped that immediately upon returning, I landed a full-time communications internship with a small technology company – I suddenly found myself thrown back into the world of “work hard, play hard.”

I realized that nothing could ever take the new Yorker out of me. I was back to trying new things, visiting new places, meeting new people, and even trying different drinks (perks of being legal).

I learned some of the best rooftop bars in NYC, the best nightclubs, and the hottest spots for date nights, girls night, and even family time.

230 Fifth rooftop: celebrating my friend’s 21st.

Although all of this work and play has been tiring, I am aware that I have been ‘living the life’ for the past eight months.

In just three weeks I will be heading back to Ithaca College, and I am on a mission to make my senior year the best one yet – a new apartment, new classes, new professors, and a different environment.

Although I am used to the small and “Gorges” town of Ithaca, I am prepared to find adventure, because if I have learned anything, it’s that there are incredible people and places everywhere.

I wish I could go back to London, and I wish I could study abroad again, but Ithaca is home. I just now have another place to call home as well. And isn’t that lucky.