How to get through freshman year with a mental illness

College is one of the weirdest transitions of your life

Going away for college is probably one of the weirdest transitions in a young adult’s life. All of the sudden, you’re surrounded by a bunch of adults harboring the spirit of a child. The desire to explore is infectious and the opportunity to scratch the itch is on every corner, without having to have someone to report to every night.

It’s both magnificent and terrifying. And when you add any mental disorder to the mix, every emotion can be magnified to the point of numbness. As someone who battles with depression, I know how difficult it can be to go away to college and keep that little demon at bay. I barely made it through my freshman year, but learned some helpful tips by the end.

Find someone you trust

For me, it wasn’t the change of environment, but the simple fact that I didn’t have anyone I trusted enough to talk to. By finding someone you trust, you build a relationship that allows you to keep the door open, instead of locking the door and keeping everything to yourself. Whether the school has resources, or can connect you to others, that may help you. Or, you find a friend you can trust.

There’s a difference between ‘independence’ and ‘isolation’

Many times, we mistake being independent as being a lone wolf and relying on only ourselves. However, that’s not quite the case. It’s easy to label “isolation” as independence, because sometimes we get so used to being alone, that we forget there are people willing to help and love on us. We forget we can reach out. Being independent means you’re conscious of how you spend your time and are spending it responsibly. Being isolated means you’re conscious of how you spend your time and don’t do anything to help yourself.

Remember to take a breath and do something for yourself

2015 USAT MACTC

Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up with everything thing that’s on your to-do list. It’s important to have a mental break from school and work, even if it’s just an hour. An easy way to do this is to pencil yourself into your schedule. Grab some coffee, watch some Netflix, go on a hike, or just take a nap to rejuvenate that youthful glow.

Embrace it

So many times we hear people wishing to go back to college, or just wishing they did things differently in regards to trying things. Don’t be that person. If your school is hosting some fun event, take that trusty friend you made and go. Join a club, leave that waiter your number, or start that study group and meet that hot guy in your class – all things I’ve done, but no shame here. Just enjoy being in an environment where you get to express your youth and intellect.

‘Just DO IT’

A photo I took of my friends’ shoes during a spontaneous hike

As Shia Labeouf once said: “JUST DO IT.” Get out there. Live your life. Learn how to apply your classes to your life. Sure, it will get rough sometimes, but don’t allow whatever mental illness you’re dealing with to dictate how you live your life. Especially not your college years, because they’re going to be awesome.