As a Tennessean, I’m voting for Hillary Clinton and you should, too

I’ve worn my ‘I’m with Her’ shirt from day one

In a state that has traditionally been Republican, meeting a Hillary supporter is uncommon. However, it’s a little more common in Nashville, Tennessee (where I’m from). For the most part, people are a little more educated here than in other parts of the South and they have a tendency to vote Democrat.

I’ve worn my “I’m with Her” t-shirt from day one, and here’s why.

I have grown up learning to treat every neighbor as myself

It was the greatest quote the Bible ever put into my life and the life of my family. It is, unfortunately, a line that people in my state happen to use in spurts and apply to only specific individuals in certain situations. But I believe everyone should be loved.

If not loved, then just a basic form of human decency, respect and acknowledgement that their life is important. It doesn’t need to be acceptance, it just needs to be sensitivity and understanding. From the beginning, Hillary was the candidate who stood out for human rights – for the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, things that have been bestowed upon the American people from the beginning.

Obama’s economic progress has not gone unnoticed

I do not want it to stall or to back-peddle because of the election of an incapable candidate. In 2010 alone, more jobs were created than in the eight years prior to his election.

As of January 2016, there has been a record 64 consecutive months of job growth. Plus, he reduced the federal budget deficit from 9.8% of GDP during Bush’s presidency to only 2.9% by 2014. These are incredible feats. The worst thing Hillary would do is put our economy on autopilot, and jobs would continue to be created and the deficit would continue to lower.

The only way to really achieve anything is through collaboration and teamwork

Donald Trump says he can “fix everything by himself.” I don’t believe him. Nothing in politics, or in life, is ever achieved by one person alone. You can say you built a chair by hand, but where did you get the wood? Who taught you how to build the chair? Even “self-made” requires collaboration and humility.

I’m tired of people saying Hillary is ‘playing the woman card’

You might think Hillary has an attitude, but that’s really how women have to be nowadays to get things done. If a man had acted as focused and driven as she has, he wouldn’t have been questioned.

If a man made one mistake in a 30+ year political career, he would be revered and given reprieve for his mistake. It is undeniable Hillary is dealing with the pressure every woman deals with every day. She is forced to carry it and continue to be scrutinized for what she wears, her “inability” to work technology and her past love life.

Hillary is one of the most qualified candidates to ever run for presidency

Lawyer, Senator, First Lady, Secretary of State. If you add the fact that Tim Kaine is her VP, it is the most qualified ticket in presidential history. He is a missionary, civil rights lawyer, local official, state official and a federal official. I’d call that hitting all the rungs of the ladder.

So when I say I’m voting for Hillary, I say I’m voting for the betterment of every kid in my city, including the kids I will surely have in the future. I say I’m voting for economic improvement. I say I’m voting for cooperation between the President and the Senate. I say I’m voting for the most qualified ticket in American history.

And I have never been so proud to say #ImWithHer.