The stages of going gluten-free

I just want a goddamn bagel

Celiac disease is defined as “an autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. It is estimated to affect one in 100 people worldwide. Two and a half million Americans are undiagnosed and are at risk for long-term health complications.”

If you’re one of the unlucky people who happened to be diagnosed with Celiac disease or gluten intolerance, the stages of what you went through will be all too familiar.

Restaurants will never be the same

When the waiter says, “I’ll bring out some water and bread,” you stop them before they even finish the sentence. Having bread in front of you is pure torture when you can’t eat it. You also have to look at the menu before you even sit down to see if there is something you could or even want to eat.

Mexican food will become your holy grail. Corn is a great substitute for gluten without sacrificing taste or authenticity. Getting a corn tortilla instead of a flour tortilla is an option to still enjoy the taste of the best Mexican food.

Say goodbye to free food  

The best part about going to a school or work event is the free food. The food is usually something basic, like pizza, which you would love to eat if you could.

Celiac disease will limit you to saying no to the free lunch that has been put out. It most likely contains gluten and you will be forced to get out a granola bar and watch everyone enjoy their gluten filled meal.

You’ll have cravings 

Gluten is in so many foods, drinks, and sauces that your food choices will become severely challenging. Donuts, ice cream cones, pizza, alcohol, cookies – the list goes on and on.

Why does gluten have to taste so good, yet cause so much pain?

It’s okay to dream about your favorite sandwich, just don’t let your temptations get the best of you.

Traveling will never be the same

Awful airplane food gets even worse when you ask if there are any gluten free options. The only edible part of the meal is usually a dinner roll or some item including gluten.

Grabbing a quick meal at McDonald’s is no longer possible while running late to the airport. You will have to change the way you travel to fit your new dietary guidelines. Packing food into your suitcase will become a new part of your packing ritual.

Navigating your new lifestyle

There is a whole gluten free world that exists in many common grocery stores. Most grocery stores now have a gluten free sections or isles and many restaurants are now trying to accommodate people who can’t eat gluten, too. You can speak to your waiter about gluten free options and they are always happy to assist. Being gluten free is easier than ever before.

There are so many better and healthier alternatives to gluten-filled classics that will make you never even want to eat gluten again. With a recipe, ingredients, and a kitchen there is no limitation to what you can make, gluten free, of course.

Your overall lifestyle will completely change. When you loose your appetite, you increase your water intake, which will have a positive benefit on your immune system and clearing your skin of unwanted acne.

You will finally feel better

Once diagnosed with Celiac disease, you will feel a sense of relief because you know what is finally wrong. You know how to fix the problem by cutting gluten out of your diet immediately and will lead to you feeling better.

You will finally feel like yourself again.