Greg Abbott just made it harder to be a woman in Texas

The Governor wants ALL fetal tissue to be buried or cremated, including from abortions

In a move that bypasses the Texas legislature, Governor Greg Abbott has proposed a new rule that requires all forms of fetal tissue to be given a proper burial, meaning that the fetal tissue would have to be buried or cremated as if it were an adult corpse.

Many Texans have seen this new regulation as a way for Governor Abbott to use the law in order to impose his own agenda on women and abortion providers, while others view it as a legitimate effort to uphold the sanctity of life. The proposal for this new rule comes shortly after Texas House Bill 2 (HB2) was struck down in the Supreme Court because it placed an undue burden on women seeking abortions. More information about HB2 and the court proceedings can be found here.

Abbott has started fundraising off of this new rule, which is a questionable decision considering the desperate fundraising needed for issues such as child poverty and healthcare. We asked Texans for their thoughts on this new proposal and fundraising effort from Governor Abbott.

Ashtyn Boggs, University of Houston, 21

“Greg Abbott uses his position, much like many politicians including Bobby Jindal, Ted Cruz, and Rick Perry, to impose personal religious beliefs that not everyone, not even a majority, believe in. As someone who considers themselves pragmatic, how is it feasible to make people bury a fetus and spend government money on this when we are in the bottom 10 states in primary education?

“Time and money would be better spent focusing on education, comprehensive sex education, and other social programs. I’m not really surprised that this has happened, it’s not the first time Texas legislative and executive seat holders have pulled the wool over the people’s eyes.”

Naheaan Islam, University of Houston, 21

“I think ideally it sounds very nice and harmless, but logistically thinking it’s unrealistic. Abbott doesn’t go into detail about how this is all expected to work. Women are having a hard time with reproductive rights as it is and so are the hospitals that provide abortions.

“It raises a lot of questions regarding the cost associated and the legalities behind it.”

Suraj Pabba, University of Houston alumni, 26

“Once again Texans fear the wrath of another governor who seems to impose their personal / financial beliefs over the rights of their citizens. Governor Abbott has epitomized exactly what we thought a conservative governor would want to do in efforts ‘to protect female health’ by issuing stricter rules on disposing fetal remains.

“As a Texan I am strongly opposed to anything that would limit the ability for a person to receive medical attention due to our governments’ laws. I fear as Texans we may begin to slowly lose our rights, compared to other states, in efforts to push a conservative agenda.”

Aditi B, University of Texas alumni, 23

“I’m not sure of the exact science behind abortions but I don’t think the aborted fetus comes out of the uterus till quite after the actual abortion procedure, so collecting the tissues/clot/embryo (whatever it is at the point) would be cumbersome and a great emotional stress to the patient and the clinic staff that would be procuring it.

“Doing some research online on abortions, the process is already emotionally stressful for both the woman and her supporters (if any), and there is strong physical pain accompanying the emotional roller-coaster she is already feeling. I feel that each woman should be able to grieve and honor (or not) her aborted fetus as she wishes, and imposing a law that all fetal remains should be buried or cremated oversteps a woman’s right to console herself or react to the issue in a way which suits her.

“Lastly, the cost of the burial or cremation would be passed on to the patient, which is another guise of pro-life agenda in the form of additional financial burden.”

Phoebe Mattingly, Lonestar Community College System Cy-Fair, 19

“As someone who is and always will be pro-choice but also open minded, I can in a way understand and maybe even support this new law. I see it more so as a sentiment rather than a sick punishment to the mothers of the aborted fetuses, as I’m sure some people will interpret the law as this.

“It’s definitely a lot better and more pleasant idea than other states that require potential abortion procedure patients to watch an abortion on video. If I were to get an abortion for medical/financial/emotional reasons and I had a choice, I’d much rather have the burial or cremation than have to watch a video of an abortion prior to the procedure. Like I said, I really don’t think Abbott is doing this as some kind of a sick punishment, I think it is supposed to hold more of a sentimental value.”

Brittany Shulman, University of Texas alumni, 21

“The State of Texas has already solidified itself as being unkind, unfriendly, and unjust towards women. Gov. Greg Abbott’s latest rule is another step in the wrong direction for Texas’ policies regarding abortion and women’s reproductive health. It’s time Texas starts legislating and developing statutes that work for women, not against. The rhetorical implication of this rule will further divide those who do and do not support abortion and serve as a tool for the pro-life movement to further justify their sentiments and harsh legislation.

“I firmly believe this is the first step of many to make it harder and more uncomfortable to be a woman in Texas. I fully agree with Rep. Donna Howard – this rule is being rushed without proper research or consideration.”

While opinions differ, a majority of Texas students seem to be sick of the decisions the state government makes in regards to abortions and women’s health. The state wastes hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax payer money fighting senseless lawsuits against the federal government as it is, despite the fact that funding is desperately needed in other sectors of the Texan economy.

Watching our governor invest more time and money into yet another morally questionable act of legislation is fairly infuriating. All in all, there is certainly a sense of irony in a governor who believes in small government, yet desperately attempts to undermine the personal choices of women.