Meet Brooke Bango, 22-year-old COO

‘A self-respecting woman sets the tone for the respect she will receive’

Being an entrepreneur is something that takes a lot of bravery. You need to be able to put everything on the line for something that you cannot guarantee. It also means taking on big personal and professional risks, and taking a chance on not only your product, but yourself.

I spoke with Brooke Bango, a 22-year-old with a passion for entrepreneurship. She has learned not only how tough it can be as a young entrepreneur, but also how rewarding it can be.

She is currently the Chief Operating Officer of a company that she helped create from the ground up, called Skillblaze

What made you realize your passion for entrepreneurship?

I have always been a passionate and creative individual. As a child, I would constantly imagine ways in which life could be made easier.
I quickly realized that I could harness these two personal qualities in order to become a successful entrepreneur. As I developed the skills required for individuals in this profession, my passion for balancing risk with management became more prevalent and I became sure that I had found my calling.

Have you ever been treated differently in the business because of your age?

I have learned not everyone is taught that respect is given not earned, and that you should respect others until they give you reason not to.
As a young entrepreneur I have had to earn my respect with some individuals. However, most of the professionals I encounter compliment me for my early successes rather than chastising me for being 22.

Have you ever been treated differently in the business because you are a woman?

I have been revered for being a woman in business. Maybe we as women are finally making enough of an impact that we are getting the respect that we deserve.
I believe that a self-respecting woman sets the tone for the level of respect she will receive from others.

What would you tell other women looking to take a chance on something?

Do it. Seriously, go after what it is you want with full force. No one is going to do it for you. I think not only is it important for women to lead successful lives, but to encourage other women to do the same.
A remarkable woman once said, “Wherever women gather together, failure is impossible.” – Susan B. Anthony

What is your biggest secret to success?

Passion, dedication, drive – adversity will always show its face, persevere.