We asked #BlackLivesMatter what they wish people knew about the movement

‘This isn’t some ‘on trend,’ sensationalized way of vilifying the police’

With racial tensions high and unjust violence becoming increasingly visible, the movement has taken a hit and been labeled as a violent organization. Some critics of the organization have gone as far as to label it a terrorist group and compare it to the KKK. With that being said, I felt it was necessary to set the record straight.

I asked Texans involved in the movement to answer the following question: What do you wish people knew about the #BlackLivesMatter movement?

Marilyn, 20, Garland, TX

“I wish that people truly understood the goal of the Black Lives Matter movement and why it is titled the way that it is. BLM was created to bring attention to and eradicate institutional racism. Despite the criticism and completely false statements put forth by opponents of BLM, BLM is not anti-police or anti-white. BLM is anti-institutional racism, anti-white superiority and anti-non-accountability.

“A special focus is given to blacks, not because supposedly ‘black lives matter more,’ but rather because historically and presently blacks have been the group that faces some of the worst ramifications of living in a society where institutional racism runs rampant, in the U.S. and all around the world.”

Ashley, 36, Dallas, TX

“Black Lives Matter Movement is about empowering our people to support and uplift one another. Because we are the backbone of America, it is time for our culture to join forces and create our future.”

Josh, 20, Sugar Land, TX

“Just because we say ‘black lives matter’ doesn’t mean that other people’s lives do not. It’s just our way of reminding people that ours do and that we needed to be treated as such. It comes down to equality and the fact that everyone needs to be treated the same, but then again, we’ve been saying this for the longest time and nothing has changed.”

Kyler, 18, Mansfield, TX

“The #BlackLivesMatter movement is not a movement saying one race of people matters more than another race because all lives do matter. However, when we say #AllLivesMatter, it does not make any sense, because honestly, I can’t say that all lives are treated equally.

“In this world, you’re not respected holistically for who you are or for the things that you don’t have the ability to change about yourself. We are naturally put into categories, whether it’s because of your race, gender, or sexuality. When it comes to white supremacy or police brutality, there’s a lack of understanding that leads to generalizations and stereotypes of not only of black folk, but many other races of people as well.

“It can unite people instead of dividing them and show that we as a race do matter as much as anybody else and that we are not going to be ignored. #BlackLivesMatter to me is a movement that gives me hope that there will be a time where ‘loving thy neighbor’ will be more important.”

Kirstie, 20, Florida

“What do I, a young black woman living in America, wish non-black people knew about a movement that solely exists because of the unjust treatment of African Americans every single day in this country? My answer is quite simple. This entire movement is a cry from black people across the country who are just so tired of being chastised for a little extra pigmentation generation after generation.

“I challenge anyone against this movement to happily trade places with an African American in this country. Even just for a day. Then you come back and tell me why now you too feel your ‘black life’ matters.”

Alexis, 35, Houston, TX

“That this isn’t some ‘on trend,’ sensationalized way of vilifying the police, or a way to justify our ‘reverse racist’ agenda. It’s the continuation of struggle with a perception we’ve been fighting since the inception of America – that somehow we are less and we deserve less so we should accept less. It combats the notion that ‘all lives matter, but some lives matter more’ that’s built into the fabric of our society.

“This movement is an extension of the Underground Railroad, The Civil Rights Movement and any other movement giving voice to a group of people who are unequivocally stating that we deserve better, that our lives matter just as much as anyone else’s and we’re asking for – no, we’re demanding – justice.”

The simple fact that black people fighting for justice and equality are labeled as terrorists is ignorant and quite frankly saddening. To a young black woman in America, it appears we cannot win. It appears we are always going to be ignored. It appears black people are going to remain a spectacle and I will not stand by as critics and media outlets continue to deny the issue and sweep us under the rug.