How to dress like a camp counselor

Forget Paris and Milan – at camp, the Walmart men’s section is the highest of couture fashion

Being a camp counselor is the ultimate summer job, so why shouldn’t it be your summer outfit inspiration?

Camp counselors know how to dress to beat the heat, be prepared for anything, and tackle any hurdle that comes their way.

The Walmart T-Shirt

Forget Paris and Milan. At camp, the Walmart men’s section is the highest of couture fashion. A shirt with just a lion’s face? A shirt with nothing but cat faces? A shirt with a wolf howling at the moon, overlaid on the American flag, overlaid with the night sky in general? The weirder, the cooler.

At camp, anything goes and everything is cool, so take advantage of it. Buy the shirts you’ll never wear anywhere but at camp, because they’re only $5 and they’re FUN. If you’re not having fun from head to toe, you’re not doing it right.

The amazing tan lines

As a counselor, your coolness is about 50% based on how bad your tan lines are. Chaco tans, Birk tans, Teva tans, watch tans, fitbit tans, farmer’s tans, shorts tans and swimsuit tans? As long as you’re at camp, the worse your tan lines, the better.

Chaco tans are practically a competition, even though the darker they are, the more noticeable they are once you leave camp and try to wear normal sandals. (might swap photo for one in swim suit so you can see shorts tan too?)

The fanny pack

Oh yeah, it’s making a comeback, and not just for daging. You’re going to need band aids, hand sanitizer, chapstick, sunblock, string for friendship bracelets, and sunglasses pretty much all the time, so you want to have them with you.

Plus, everything is cool at camp.

The handcrafted shirt

Everyone knows that Arts & Crafts is a huge part of camp, from simple tie-dye to the hand crafted tribe leader shirts we make at my camp.

There’s no better way to show off your art skills (or lack of them in my case) than literally wearing them on your back.

Crazy costumes

At some point, for some reason, you’re going to have to dress up. Be ready to go wild. (And be ready to paint. Walmart might not come in clutch for this one.)

Literal buckets of fun

Camp is the place where everyone gets to be exactly who the are. Nothing is off-limits, and nothing is uncool. In fact, the weirder it is in the real weird, the cooler it probably is at camp.

There’s no better summer style inspiration than one that has no limits.