Thank you, Donald Trump

How your racism mobilized my community

| UPDATED latina trump latinx vote trump trump
Written by: Alexis Montoya

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, their rapists…” 

It was this time last year when, in less than a minute, Donald Trump launched a terrible attack on our culture. In the year that has elapsed since he made those remarks, his candidacy has mobilized me, and my community, in a way that could end his chances of being president.

I remember when I first heard the speech. It took moments to absorb. His words repeated in my head like a broken record, tuning out the rest of the speech. Did a presidential candidate just attack my people?

As a Latina born in the United States, the connection to my culture was through my family, through my Puerto Rican and Peruvian relatives. 

Yet, to my surprise, Trump’s rhetoric has given me growing connection with – and feeling of responsibility for – my fellow Latinx brothers and sisters. He has created a broader cultural identification in me that I didn’t have before – an impressive achievement, if you think about it. 

If Trump wins 

The thought of Trump becoming president keeps me up at night. The thought of his huge army of supporters fighting for his election scares me. To hear some people actually rationalize his ideas makes me cringe. If Trump were to win this election, I would be afraid to walk outside. His acceptance as a presidential candidate has revealed the ugly truth of American racism.

To me, his win would validate and encourage discrimination of the Latinx and other minority communities. Beyond the emotional effects, there’s “the wall”, his raging need for war, and overall disregard for the obstacles lower class and underprivileged citizens face. He plans to make America “great again”, but it was never great to begin with.

The broad prejudice he appeals to

While some of us are outspoken about our struggles, most experience them quietly. To some Americans, we are border-hopping, taco eating, sombrero wearing people. We work menial jobs, are loud, and lazy.

Our language doesn’t belong and neither does our existence in the states. This toxic perception sits in the minds of many voters. It’s a perception that I and many Latinxs will work hard to eliminate for the rest of our lives.

Mailing out my absentee ballot.

I wasn’t registered to vote 

There was a cluster of emotions that lead me to finally register to vote, age 21. I was angry with the shared perception of the Latinx community, especially in the minds of Trump supporters. I feared the chance of him winning and the circumstances that would surround it.

I wasn’t engaged in the political process before. But when Trump began gaining popularity registering to vote no longer felt optional. It felt like a duty.

My brother was the first person to take action and encourage me to register. My university was next to send constant reminders and resources on how to register. Soon enough, my social media feeds were filled with desperate pleas to register. 

A friend spotted me on the news while at the Bernie rally held in Rochester, NY.

Registering is easy 

Thanks to many of my politically inclined friends on Facebook, I found an online application that took only minutes to complete. Finally, I was registered. When I received my absentee ballot for the primaries, I wasted no time completing and mailing it out. When I heard my candidate hopeful was going to be in the area, I made sure to be there, cheering loud for a future bright and promising for those belittled by Trump. I began seeing so many Latinx figures speaking up and encouraging others to become involved, so I did too.

I’m glad I’m now engaged 

After the Brexit vote, I realize the future of America isn’t as certain as I once thought. By registering to vote, becoming vocal about my political beliefs, and encouraging others to do the same, I know I’m doing what I can to protect the future of America and my fellow Latinxs.

Where Latinxs go from here

While the Latinx community has done wonders building platforms of information and encouragement for each other, there is still work to be done. The primaries have come to a close and there are finally two presidential nominees. The next best step is to do research. Truly understand each position, each promise, and what it means. 

Encourage political dialogue with friends and family. Once November 8th arrives, you must go out and vote. Even if you feel like you’re only one person in the grand scheme of politics, your vote is the most powerful catalyst for change.

In times of trouble for the Latinx community, I can’t help but to think back to my favorite quote, “Quisieron enterrarnos, pero se les olvido que somos semillas” which means “They wanted to bury us, but they forgot that we are seeds.”

Thank you, Trump. For in your efforts to tear us apart, you only made us stronger