Reasons to love the British Virgin Islands

It’s pretty much heaven on earth

After attending a sailing and marine biology camp in the British Virgin Islands for three weeks a few years ago, I gained a new love for nature, boats, the water and the Caribbean. The BVI without a doubt became one of my favorite places on earth, and since then I long to visit one day again. From sailing to snorkeling with sea turtles to scuba diving among sunken ships, words can’t describe how enjoyable those three weeks were.

The main island, Tortola

Sail, sail, sail

The BVI is known for its sailing between islands, since it’s the best way to get around here. The clear turquoise water, white sandy beaches and protected Sir Francis Drake Channel make being on a boat so much fun here. Between moorings, getting to swim and snorkel off the boat, or traveling from one unique island to another, sailing is an incredible part of the BVI. When I visited and my friends and I sailed on a catamaran, we even got to sleep outside on the boat under the stars every night.

Breathtaking sunsets on the Sir Francis Drake Channel

Tortola

The main island in the BVI, with the capitol Road Town, is home to beautiful beaches, snorkeling, scuba diving, windsurfing, kite surfing, awesome marinas, kayaking, canoeing and even mountains that you can hike on!  Just south of Tortola is the Rhone National Marine Park, one of the best wreck dives in the world. This ship sailed until 1867, when it sank in a hurricane in the archipelago. Many divers who have explored this still are in shock of how after so many years, the vessel is still intact almost 80 feet below the surface!

Stunning views high up on Tortola’s mountains

Colorful houses of Tortola

The Baths

These giant boulders are one of my favorite parts of the BVI, and one of the most famous parts too – not to mention they are unlike any other beach in the Caribbean, and form many natural swimming pools and grottos/caves. Following these natural wonders by going on the winding trails and baths eventually leads you to Devils Bay Beach. The picturesque beaches surrounding the Baths are ideal for snorkeling and swimming.

Arriving at the world famous Baths

Virgin Gorda Peak

This famous hike on the island of Virgin Gorda leads you to magnificent views at the summit of 1,370 feet. It may seem extremely high, especially if you were just at sea level on your boat earlier in the day, but leads you to many amazing views that you can’t see anywhere else in the world. At the top, you overlook the valleys between surrounding mountainous islands.

One of the prettiest views I’ve ever seen!

Virgin Gorda is home to exotic trees and plants

Anegada

This is one of the most unique places that I’ve ever been to.  It’s the only coral and limestone island in the archipelago, as opposed to all of the other islands which were formed volcanically. It’s also one of the flattest places ever, with the highest elevation at 28 feet. The world’s fourth largest coral reef is here, which is over 18 miles long. Snorkeling and swimming are prominent here.

Just below the surface of the water here!

The views are breathtaking, the experiences once in a lifetime and I can’t think of a more beautiful place on earth.