The people of Scotland don’t want Donald Trump to visit them

‘He is a silly attention-seeking old man’

Pierce Miller, 19

Pierce Miller

Honestly I think Donald Trump is a silly attention-seeking old man, the fact people take him so seriously is more worrying than he is. All you have to do is say a bunch of outrageous things and you’ll get people’s attention, he should just be ignored. I am proud to be Scottish because it’s a forward thinking country, Trump embodies everything that Scotland is not. It’s ridiculous to call him a friend.

What would you say to or call Trump if he was here right now?

I’d say nothing, there’s no point wasting your breath on the ignorant.

Caitlin Barrie, 16

I think Donald Trump is a very powerful and interesting man, I really admire him even though a lot of people think the complete opposite, I admire the fact that he isn’t manipulated into saying what people want to hear. He speaks his own opinion and doesn’t seem to bother with the people who do disagree. He lets everyone know what he thinks and rightly so, I mean who wants a President they don’t truly know? I am glad he’s visiting Scotland and does business here as he has made the already beautiful scenes of Turnberry into the stunning and breath-taking scenes of Trump Turnberry.

I am glad he is proud [of having Scottish heritage], and any Scot should be proud for being part of such a beautiful heritage. He is a brave man to come to Scotland even though there has been a petition to get him to leave, but still he is excited to be here and proud to be a friend of us. He has brought a lot of business to us in the surrounding areas of Turnberry, even the people who don’t like him want to see him. I think it’s exciting to have such a famous and possible future president so close to us and to be proud to be close to us

If Trump was here right now I’d definitely want to shake his hand and congratulate him on his achievements. I may ask for a selfie. I’d tell him how I am glad that a man so high in politics tells people how it is and how he thinks without sugar coating it and I’d always wish him luck in the Presidential Election.

Ruairi Wakefield, 20

Donald Trump is little more than the average “asset stripper”. He runs a company until it makes him a profit, shuts it down, strips the assets, and takes the money. It is NOT an intricate system that makes him a “major success”, but a tactic used by common tax evaders.

The truth is, Donald Trump was blockaded at every turn, trying to buy Turnberry. The local populace made it extremely clear they didn’t welcome him, his heritage regardless. It’s in my opinion that he has been a detriment to Turnberry, and should probably reconsider his “business plan” regarding it.

I would have to explain to him that he is just like Mitt Romney. That just because you have money, it doesn’t make you popular, or wiser. Would also chuck in as a friendly bit of advice that Katie Hopkins is not highly respected, and advise him to do a little research of the British people.

Rachel Whiteman, 20

I don’t like the fact Trump will be in my area. I don’t like what he stands for and if he focused more on politics and the core issues, rather than making his name known, he would get on better. I never realised he has Scottish heritage however I think he is an embarrassment to Scottish people!

I don’t think you can’t publish what I would call him!

Alison McFadyen, 19

Trump’s coming to the area this week – what do you think about him?

Hitler 2.0.

He’s always been proud of his Scottish heritage and claims to be a big friend of the Scots, how does that make you feel

I am sad to be associated, no matter how remotely, with someone like that.

To be honest I probably wouldn’t even look at him twice… I’d be like “aye that’s Donald Trump right enough” then just continue what I was doing.

Gregor Young, 22

I believe that Trump’s views are out of touch with modern society and he is a danger to the whole world if elected president. He is a nasty, arrogant and spiteful individual who should not be given the level of coverage he is currently offered. It sickens me as Scotland is a liberal country and I don’t think the majority of Scots support him! In fact, they hate him! He is no friend of ours.

I would tell him exactly what I think! I would also tell him to get off Scottish soil and never return as he is not welcome here.

Taylor Alexander, 19

I think Trump’s pretty controversial. I don’t like his political views but you can’t help but be impressed by the amount of followers he has

He’s always been proud of his Scottish heritage and claims to be a big friend of the Scots, how does that make you feel?

I find it a bit insulting. To me he’s not Scottish at all.

I’d probably just ask him for a selfie; not because I like him but just because he’s famous.

Alan Low, mid 30s

He’s a tried and tested businessman. I think what he’s doing is good for Turnberry because it might make it on par with some of the other hotels in Scotland and obviously he will bring in the Americans.

I think he’s playing a political game. He only cares about money and is very controversial.

I would tell him to fulfil what he’s trying to do with Turnberry. As long as he puts his money where his mouth is and doesn’t just steamroll over what’s already there then I think it’s a positive thing

Fiona Borland, late 50s

I work for a local charity and Trump has donated some things for us to sell so I probably don’t hold as negative a view as lots of others do. I don’t have a real problem with him. I think he has smartened up Turnberry and is bringing employment into the area.

I think that’s just a money thing, I doubt he really cares that he’s partly Scottish.

I would probably comment on how high the standard of Turnberry is now. I have heard a lot of locals say that he is a good employer so would probably say something to him about that.