All the misconceptions about people from Tennessee

My closet isn’t just jeans and boots

Despite what you see in the movies, people from Tennessee aren’t all the same. Most of the time, we don’t fit the stereotypes.

There are loads of misconceptions about Tennesseans, and I’m here to explain them.

We all live on a farm and don’t have running water

While Tennessee is home to thousands of acres of farm land, there are four major cities that all have substantial urban and suburban populations. Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga are home to the majority of people living in Tennessee. And ask any Memphian and they will gladly tell you that Memphis has the best running water in the world.

We only drink sweet tea

Kirby Betchick, who has lived in Tennessee for all but three months of her life, said: “I don’t like sweet tea.” A lot of Tennesseans would actually prefer to drink a Coke. Down here, a Coke is any kind of soft drink, not just Coca-Cola products.

Everyone drives a truck

Every country songs talks about driving a pickup truck down a dirt road with the windows down, thus furthering the stereotype of everyone driving a truck. Don’t get me wrong, there is a truck currently parked in my driveway and a good number on the roads, but it certainly doesn’t make up the majority of cars owned in Tennessee.

We only wear jeans and cowboy boots

I can confidently say that I have not worn a real pair of jeans since I purchased them from Limited Too. The heat and humidity down here makes the denim feel like it’s sticking to your skin. It’s not fun for anyone involved. As far as cowboy boots are concerned, it’s essential to own at least one pair, but there are few occasions in which they are considered appropriate footwear, especially for girls. If it’s not a concert or a football game, pairing a dress with a leather cowboy boot could be a major fashion risk.

Everyone likes country music

Even though Nashville is the country music capital, not everyone here appreciates the storytelling twang. Memphis is well known for rock & roll, blues and hip hop/rap, with artists like Justin Timberlake, BB King and Elvis Presley calling it home. The Rock ‘n’ Soul Museum is located in downtown Memphis, along with Stax and Sun Studios.

Football is everything

I’ll be honest with y’all, this one is true. The state seems to be divided between the Memphis Tigers, Vanderbilt Commodores and Tennessee Volunteers. Growing up with family members who graduated from the University of Memphis, the rivalry between the Tigers and the Vols was intense. The word “orange” was considered derogatory in our house up until the day I decided to attend the University of Tennessee.

I still have to remind myself that I can cheer for the Vols, even though I have been at the school for over two years. No matter who you cheer for, it’s very likely that if you’re from Tennessee, football is the third most important thing in your life, only behind the good Lord and family.