What it was like to be homeschooled

It was only two years, but it was the time of my life

There is a reason why when someone asks me what my favorite subject is, I am unable to answer. This same reason is why I thrive when I am working with other people, why I like to create and use my hands, and why I am always eager to try new foods and experiences. It is all rooted in my organic and perhaps unconventional beginning. 

Like my two sisters before me, my mother homeschooled me for two years before putting me in public school. I was only homeschooled for kindergarten and first grade–seemingly insignificant years. Though it seems like such a short time in the grand scheme of things, in the grand scheme that was my nurturing and development. Those ‘golden year’ molded me into the person I have become, and will continue to shape me into the person I will become.

I don’t remember much. After all, I was only about five years old. I do recall, however, certain specific memories. They may seem random and inconsequential (funny how the mind works, isn’t it?), but the few distinct images I can still remember also recall the encompassing curiosity, warmth, rapture, and desire to learn that I felt during those ‘golden’ years.

A typical day

My mom would let me sleep until I woke up naturally at about 7 or 8. We would drink tea and start with some reading–yes, I was in my pajamas. Then, I would get dressed for the real work: math, science, and social studies.

Every day went somewhat according to this schedule; it was structured according to subjects, lesson plans, and whatever time I decided to roll out of bed.

Homeschooling wasn’t what many people think it would be–no work and running around in pajamas all day. I did have to do work and learn, but I did it in a more holistic, flexible, and inspiring way than what others might be used to.

The Co-Op

Twice a week, we would meet with several other moms and their daughters for a group lesson. It was sort of like a little classroom, but our learning experience was much smaller, more hands-on, personal, and comprehensive.

We would start off with ‘circle time,’ a time to share stories or ideas. Then we would dive into the lesson for the day. Sometimes it was learning about Native Americans, complete with sewing moccasins, preparing a standard Native American meal, and then playing in a teepee we made with butcher paper. There was always time made for play during co-op.

I remember sitting in a circle around Stephanie as she read us fairy tales and myths from other countries–her long nails tapping on the glossy hard cover of the book. I remember Linda telling me that I had to be patient when I insisted on only coloring a thin strip of blue at the top of my drawing for the sky.

Why I’m glad I was homeschooled, even if it was for a short time

Knowledge was something I could touch, taste, smell, hear, or see. Now, I carry that same eagerness and feeling–that understanding that the world around me is always within my reach.

I attribute my avid love for learning and my wide range of interests to my homeschooling experience. Without the unique environment of hands-on learning that I was so lucky to have enjoyed, I know that I wouldn’t be as interested in as many fields as I am today.

The reason for my academic drive and motivation is that my mom and “other moms” from the co-op taught me to question everything by making every lesson enriching and exciting in some way. They showed me that gaining knowledge is a beautiful thing.