Your ultimate guide to camping in the Lone Star State

There’s no McDonalds at the end of these trails

I have been going on camping trips with my family for as long as I can remember. Over time, I have discovered what my favorite camping spots are. Texas is hot and can be extremely humid depending on the area, but once you get past those small (ish) issues, there is nothing but fun after that.

Texas has so many parks and other spots that are perfect for camping, from the Lubbock area and the Austin/ San Antonio area to the Houston area and the Dallas/ Fort Worth Area. Camping provides a peaceful getaway for all the nature-lovers out there. Even if you’re not a nature-lover, I strongly recommend everyone try camping at least once before they form an opinion on it.

Camping is so different from the real world. The camping world includes tents, bug spray, ice chests and various camping appliances. However, for some people, camping means renting an RV and watching cable TV until you’re ready to go to the lake for a few hours. But this is cheating, like, major cheating.

Lake Livingston State Park

Our campsite

Lake Livingston State Park is the home to one of the largest lakes in Texas. There is so much to do including swimming, fishing, boating, hiking and mountain biking. If you ever go to Lake Livingston, be prepared to fight off birds, squirrels and ducks for your food. Just a fair warning: singing to them does not work. (I may or may not have tried that.)

The mosquitoes can get pretty annoying, but once you got your bug spray armor on, you should be ready to take on the Pineywoods.

Galveston Island State Park

A picture taken by my mother

I know it sounds super weird to go camping on the beach, but my family went for years before Hurricane Ike. The campsites are walking distance from the beach and give off a tranquil vibe that allows anyone to escape reality.

Building sand castles, paddling, splashing in the waves and strolling on the beach are just some of the activities you can do at Galveston Island State Park. There is something there for the whole family. Moody Gardens and Pleasure Pier are great places to visit just in case the Galveston water is not your thing.

Lake Corpus Christi State Park

Fishing at the lake with my boyfriend

Lake Corpus Christi State Park is one of the oldest state parks in Texas. Last summer was the first time my family visited, and it was pleasantly different than any other park we had ever been to in previous years. The park’s varied wildlife and fishing are amazing. The only thing is there’s not much shade and there aren’t any camping sites by the water. Walking can be fun, but not in 95-degree weather. However, it is a great place to go if tanning is your thing!

Camp Balcones Springs

My group at Camp Texas

Camp Balcones Springs is not a state park like the other places I mentioned, but it’s just as beautiful and just as fun. Every year, the Texas Exes at the University of Texas at Austin hold a program that helps freshman learn UT traditions and network before starting school in the fall. The camp is family owned and in the Austin area. Their activities include canoeing on Lake Ted, paddle boarding and of course, swimming.

If you’re like me and you lack the ability to swim (I am not ashamed), then the water trampoline, water slides and inflatables on Balcones Beach will make for some great “I look cute outside of the water” selfies.

In truth, a state park is the only place where they have more rules than your parents, but there is nothing better than getting in touch with the outdoors. I know a lot of people say they can’t live without AC, but if you think of camping as something with natural AC, there really isn’t a difference.