Kensington, Maryland: a hidden gem of a town

We all say we’d never want to leave

The little town of Kensington is probably not the biggest name on the map. In fact, it’s so small it’s like a cult, everybody knows everybody, we all come together for town events, we’re always reppin’ the 20895. Kensington has that 1950s charm that make us never want to leave. Here are a few things you’re familiar with if you grew up in KTown:

Everyone knows everyone

My KTown Krew friend group.

No joke, you can’t walk your neighborhood let alone out of your house without knowing someone. We don’t just consider our neighbors as the families next door, but we call everyone in the neighborhood our neighbor. We’ve all grown up together, been in each other’s lives, that it is so strange when a new family moves in the neighborhood. You’re automatically scouted out and get a few shouts of “welcome to the hood!”

There are 7-Elevens everywhere

If one 7-Eleven doesn’t have that Coca Cola flavor you want, you just walk on to the next one. Kensington loves it’s 7-Elevens. It’s also a great place to be (especially if you only have a few dollars to get slurpees). Eventually, you’ll go so frequently that the employees will  -start to recognize you (happened to me yesterday).

We have Jenny Cakes – the best cupcakes in town 

Kensington’s Antique Row is home to one of the best cupcake places I’ve ever had: Jenny Cakes. Everyone knows that Jenny is an amazing woman who makes beautiful homemade cupcakes like a vanilla cupcake with chocolate chip cookie dough frosting – that is to die for.

Antique Row is the most unique part of Kensington

It is unlike anything I’ve seen before. It’s in the center of Kensington and is a few streets of old and historic antique shops: a clockwork shop, a guitar studio, a tea room, Pattrapon (a dress shop where a bunch of girls get their graduation dresses from), a bookstore, and so much more. It was once old houses and then transformed into a cute antique village right by the train tracks.

Halloween is taken to the next level

My friends and I went as the Breakfast Club characters.

Not only is our neighborhood filled with kids at Halloween, but it is also filled with amazing houses and treats. We have an entire street called the “Big Bar Street” that gives out huge candy bars during Halloween. There was even a house that gave out a dollar to every kid. But the best part of Halloween in Kensington is the Dragon House, known for its ten foot tall glowing, moving robotic dragons.

You say ‘Continental’ and everyone knows where it is, what it is, and even their phone number

301-949-9797. It’s a number we memorize or put on speed dial. It’s the best pizza place in Kensington. Squared greasy slices, but all homemade. KTowners know to bring some napkins to dab off some of the grease and to bring cash to pay.

Kensington Town Center, Safeway, and the sketchy skatepark

These are the best place to hang out. You’ll always find groups of middle schoolers or even some high schoolers hanging out in the Safeway parking lot, the sketchy skatepark, where they are either skateboarding or just eating their food on the playground, or the Kensington Town Center. Everyone loves having Chipotle, Five Guys, Continental, and 7-11 within walking distance.

There’s always something going on

The whole neighborhood tied pink ribbons around trees in support of our neighbor with breast cancer.

Our neighborhood is a family. We come together to support one another and we also come together to just be with one another, whether it is at the monthly food truck festivals or the annual Kensington Day Parade. The parade is one of the coolest events to watch in Kensington. There’s a procession of unique, old cars, a bunch of firetrucks, floats, and lots of candy and toys.

Almost everyone has a dog

About every other house, on my street alone, has a dog. The most popular dog breed in Kensington that I know of? Golden Retrievers. I even have one. It’s a great pastime in our neighborhood to walk the neighborhood with your dog.

If you’re from Kensington, you’re always reppin’ the 20895 pride

Everyone who lives in Kensington lives there with pride. We are either wearing something that says 20895 or even reppin’ a 20895 bumpersticker. We are always talking about how amazing Kensington is, and even joking about how we will never leave, Kensington is always a subject of conversation that we boast about with pride.

Kensington is an amazing, wonderful, and unique town unlike any other. Whether you just moved into the neighborhood or are the third generation to live there, Kensington is a home that no one ever seems to want to leave. I have never met a neighborhood quite as fascinating as KTown.