If you’re Bernie or Bust, you could be responsible for a Trump presidency

Who will be to blame if we inaugurate President Trump in 2017?

Election years are full of wild cards. In most cycles there’s an interesting race to the primary seat of the party, and this year has not been a disappointment. Most recently, Hillary Clinton has clinched the Democratic nomination. It remains to be seen whether or not Bernie will be slated as her VP, or if he’ll run independently. One thing is for sure: Bernie or Bust voters want nothing to do with Clinton.

These voters give many reasons for their separation from the pantsuit aficionado, all very valid ones. However, as we’ve seen in a few very close elections, not voting or voting third party has a significant impact on the general election. In 1968, Democrats were so unimpressed by their candidate Hubert Humphrey that many voted independent, resulting in a split vote that gave the presidency to Nixon. In 1980, the Iran Hostage Crisis and Ted Kennedy’s badgering during the primaries weakened President Carter’s resolve. Reagan won in a landslide. In 2000, Al Gore lost significant votes to Ralph Nader, and Florida’s hanging chad problem didn’t help matters. We all know what followed that loss…

In the aftermath of such elections, those who don’t vote, or who vote against their party sometimes regret their decisions; their intense dislike for their party’s candidate blinds them from the bigger picture: electing someone who doesn’t align with their ideals at all. So is it their fault that the opposition gets elected? Or is this merely part of having the freedom to vote as we wish?

According to Bay Area for Bernie leader Reid Chalker, the onus is on the candidates to court other voters so they don’t lose the election. In 2000, he said, Al Gore had the responsibility to get voters interested in what he had to offer so they wouldn’t head off to Nader’s camp. The same follows for Hillary, in Reid’s mind. It wouldn’t be the job of voters to switch to Clinton – it would be Clinton’s job to attract Bernie’s supporters.

Reid

Pipe dream or no?

The latest polls indicate Clinton slightly edges out Trump, but for how long? And if Bernie runs alongside them both on the ticket in November, will the election slip from Clinton’s hands much like they did from some before her? The answer is unknown. The better question is, who will be to blame if we inaugurate a President Trump in January of 2017? Can anyone be to blame?

Voting is an entirely personal decision, but the process is affected by any number of biases. If avoiding a Trump presidency is your chief goal – consider Clinton. If Clinton seems to you only the slightly lesser of two evils – consider third party. It is entirely your decision to make. However, we must all be aware of the consequences our vote (or lack thereof) can have.

No pressure, right?