‘Clinton doesn’t represent me’: Understanding the college women voting for Trump

We spoke to an Arizona freshman about why she’s bucking the trend

Donald Trump’s record on women is well documented. From calling Fox pundit Megyn Kelly a ‘bimbo’ to his controversial stance on abortion, Trump is often seen as the anti-woman candidate.

But this doesn’t mean that there aren’t women, particularly young women, who are unopposed to The Donald. One such young woman is Tamara, an 18-year-old student at the University of Arizona. I asked her a few questions about her support for the presumptive GOP nominee.

Tamara

Q: What was your first impression of Trump as a candidate? Has that changed any now that he’s the nominee?

Tamara: First I kind of pushed him to the side and had a little more focus on the other rogue candidates (Carly [Fiorina] and [Ben] Carson), but then he kept gaining traction. People wanted hope and change 8 years ago and here’s that change. You know, why not try a businessman from the typical politician, who many people are currently annoyed with since many of them aren’t doing what they promised? Why not try a businessman who’s attributed to creating roughly 36,000 jobs? I feel as though some people are afraid of success, of the hard work that you need to do to become successful. Or they want to be successful, but don’t want to work at it. That’s happened to me before when trying to pick up a new language, but this is the start of a revolution to get people to re-remember the American Dream, because it isn’t dead.

Would you then say his business experience and him being a political outsider are the strengths of his campaign?

T: Yes. He’s changing the political game for sure. People will be writing books on his tactics and what he does. It’s what makes him appealing. He’s an outsider, but not like a Cruz-level outsider.

What kind of economic policies should Trump push for if President, considering his business experience?

T: Considering I’m not an economic expert, I’m not entirely sure and I admit that. I would have to say policies that are pro-American business. I know he has spoken out against NAFTA because it did move jobs from the U.S. to Mexico. It was a very good deal for Mexico and really it emerged them into the world for trade deals. What screwed NAFTA was the introduction of China into the WTO which changed the game for everyone because of how cheap production is there.

Trump has gotten a lot of criticism for comments that have been labeled “sexist” or “misogynistic”, most notably about Megyn Kelly. Do you agree with any of those criticisms, and if not, how would you respond to them?

T: Like I mean he’s certainly said very questionable things, but he’s not a politician. He comes from the business world, which their way of speaking would absolutely astound you. I would have to say is that he doesn’t discriminate in who who criticizes, that’s for sure. He’s not just an ass to women, he’s an ass to men as well.

Do you think he needs to change that part of him if he were to become President?

T: Yes. One hundred percent yes. Not the assertiveness but he needs to change his syntax…definitely.

Not so much what he says but how he says things?

T: Yes. He needs to learn to make the transition from business man to dignitary.

The other criticism Trump’s received when it comes to women is his flip-flops on abortion and Planned Parenthood. What positions do you believe he should take on those issues?

T: Social issues are state issues.

How so?

T: The federal government is supposed to uphold the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Powers not granted in the Constitution and BoR were to be left up to the states.

Obviously now, the [federal] government is in too deep. But social issues get you in trouble politically, especially running for president. The president is supposed to uphold the laws of the land. But I would say leave it up to the states because each state has different needs.

What do you believe Donald Trump needs to do improve his favorability among women before November?

T: Start becoming more diplomatic. If my parents, my sister and friends and I have a job and the country is secure and literally making “America great again” he’s going to pull more favorability. Clinton is going to pull that woman card so hard now and I know that she doesn’t represent me personally. I don’t care [about] the gender of whoever is running. I just want a good job done.