What it’s like to date the farm hand as a farmer’s daughter

The Reality of Rodney Atkins’ ‘Farmer’s Daughter’ is not as romantic as it sounds

“Farmer’s Daughter” is every country girl’s dream. We all grew up listening to the song – waiting for that one special guy to show up and sweep us off our feet.

It seems like the perfect scenario; a gorgeous guy working the farm and falling in love with you…

But is that how it really works?

I caught a glimpse of the farmer’s daughter

Really? You’ve been working there for how long? It takes a long time to train a guy so if he’s doing all the work on his own it must’ve been awhile.

The farmer’s daughters are pretty much always around. We are either working, giving rides, or bringing food. It’s nearly impossible to go a full day without seeing the hired men around.

Even if it took that long to see her, it’s highly unlikely that she’d be looking nice. We don’t dress to impress here, work is work.

Love at first sight might be real, but on the farm it’d probably take a few interactions for anything to spark.

Not going to lie, it can happen

Speaking from experience, you can fall for the hired man. When you’re stuck together all the time you learn a lot about a person and sometimes there’s a connection.

It does seem like a bit of a fairytale at first with the small glances and chats. Riding shotgun in the tractor may not be very romantic but it makes for a lot of time to get to know each other.

After awhile he becomes your boyfriend and you get to see him every day. He’s always around and knows all about you and your family. It seems so perfect.

And then it isn’t.

Atkins forgot to mention the farmer

Where’s the dad in all of this?  Is he okay with it? Is it awkward?

Yes… It is.

Dads never take lightly to their daughters dating. It helps to have a little bit of mystery about the guy so at least he gets a fresh start with the family. When he’s spending almost every day with your dad before you even meet him there is zero mystery.

They have to provide background information to get the job. Your dad literally knows every mistake the guy has made in his life and that clearly doesn’t help the situation.

If he works for your dad there are no secrets. The whole family knows who he is, when he’s working, where he lives, what he makes… Privacy isn’t a thing in this relationship. Kinda hard to text your boyfriend when your parents know he’s supposed to be doing something.

Let’s not forget, it’s just plain awkward. You’re with your boyfriend all the time… but your dad is there. That’s never fun.

Bad days

When he has a bad day at work all hell breaks loose.

“My boss is a dick, he makes me do everything, blah blah blah, ” Everyone says it, but this is personal.

It’s not easy listening to your boyfriend trash talk your dad. In fact, it’s infuriating. Trying to stick up for him just makes your boyfriend more angry though, so you sit there and listen in silence.

It goes both ways though – listening to your dad trash talk your boyfriend for being an idiot sucks just as bad.

Work clashes

He gets done with work, says bye, and goes home. An hour later he’s back for a movie or a date.

Everything about this is awkward. It’s like he has to be two different people during the day – one to work with your dad and one to pick you up to go out later.

What if your parents don’t like him?

This is where it all goes to shit…

With the background check, the one-on-one time, the mistakes at work, and the daily conversations – your dad is going to know this guy pretty well. That isn’t always a good thing.

Sure your dad can handle someone he doesn’t like at work, we all have to sometimes. When that guy starts coming around to date his daughter though, things don’t go too well.

If your parents don’t like the guy, everything becomes a mess. They’re telling you he’s not good enough, he’s telling you they’re rude, everyone is fighting all the time… It sucks.

Just don’t do it

For those who found success in these relationships, congratulations. It’s nearly impossible.

It seems so romantic in the song, but it’s honestly the most awkward situation you could ever be in. Relationships require privacy – with him working on the farm there is none.