Learning how to play golf could give you a more successful career

It’s all about networking

For many young millennials, playing golf isn’t on their radar. They may have gone to play putt-putt or have hit some balls at the driving range for fun but most of us have never played even nine holes. But I have a couple reasons why you might want to pick up a set of clubs this summer.

I have worked as a caddy at a Metro Detroit golf club for the last four summers and the amount of business deals and trades I have seen take place is astonishing. So many members bring their clients or associates to play in order to talk to them in a more relaxed situation. And also to see their more competitive side.

Having the ability to play golf, even if you shoot over 100, can be beneficial for you and your future business deals. Being able to play means that you can also never really be excluded when it comes to getting to know co-workers or clients outside of the office. Maybe your company hosts a golf outing every year or your office buddies want to go play 18 on a nice summer weekend – if you can’t play golf the chances of you saying no or being intimidated at one of these events sky rockets.

If you don’t feel like listening to me talk on and on about how golf can help your career, I talked to one of the members from the club where I I work and one of the assistant golf professionals about their investments in the game.

Joe Mackey, Wealth Coach at MKD Wealth Coaches

(Joe is in the middle, arm-and-arm with his two co-workers and a work sponsored golf outing)
When did you start playing golf and why?
I started playing golf about 10 years ago because my business partners were/are avid golfers.  They wanted me to play with them and they thought it would be good for me and the company for business. I also thought it would be something good to do with my family.
When did you realize playing golf could benefit your career and relationships with clients?
After I started doing it and realizing that I was getting the opportunity to spend that much time away from a business setting with current clients, centers of influence (other professionals like Attorneys and CPA’s that refer clients to me) and prospective clients, [I realized] that it was very valuable in deepening the relationship. There are a lot of good things that happen in getting to know people when you are doing something together that you both enjoy.  The shared activity is a connection point that allows relationship to be shared with each other.
What is the importance of being able to play golf with your clients? 
It is important because it humanizes things more for both of us.  We are more than a service provider and a consumer. We are people with families and lives and I feel fortunate that I could “do life” with a lot of really good people.  People are trusting me with their finances and their futures and I think it helps them to feel more comfortable to get to know me better.

Steve Naelon, PGA golf professional at Red Run Golf Club

In what ways do you think that being able to play golf can benefit your career?
Being able to play golf will open numerous doors to a melting pot of people. The game has grown to reach people of all ages, race and skill levels as well as people of all different levels of financial means. Golf teaches an array of life lessons that can be used in business as well as one’s own personal life.
Do you think people in the work force miss out on events to build their network and make friends  if they can’t golf and therefore can’t/won’t go to a golf outing?
Those people that miss out on golfing events are certainly putting themselves at a disadvantage. I’m sure they have some other means to help advance their businesses, but throughout history the golf course has been a central focus on some of the biggest decisions in business. It has been said that a person’s true personality will be revealed through a round of golf and the camaraderie and friendships that are developed through out the day on a golf course will last a lifetime.
 What are the best ways for beginners to get into the game so they don’t miss out?
It is very easy for people to get into the game of golf. Local golf facilities will offer private and group instruction “get golf ready” programs as well as leagues and open tee times where people can learn the game, participate and have a great time while doing so.

This is just the beginning, networking also happens so frequently on golf courses all over the country. You may be only playing with three of your co-workers, but one of them may run into a friend who could potentially become a client of yours or vice versa. Outings are also great ways for you to network as the hosting company will invite others who they frequently do business with. This opens the door for you to meet some new people and possibly new business partners.