A non-Houstonian’s guide to Houston

We may not have an amusement park or a Statue of Liberty, but Houston is still really cool

gelato-greetings-from-houston

Picture this.  A survey is given to a bunch of non-Houstonians and on this survey is the following question: What is your first thought when you hear the word Houston? Let’s consider the responses and rule out the obvious answers shall we? 1) Beyoncé 2) Drake (Even though he is Canadian) 3) horses because there are no cars in Texas, and everyone rides horses to work (this is only a little true)

Whenever I travel I am always asked where I am from, however, over the years, I have noticed that my response results in me learning quite a few things about my hometown that I never knew (mostly untrue). Houston is one of the largest cities in the United States and is the hometown to the fiercest, most dominating women in the music industry at this time, but there is much more to the city of Houston.

Do people ride horses to school and to work in Houston?

Contrary to popular belief Houston is not a real life, modern day John Wayne movie. Everybody does not own a farm with horses in the back, and we do not wear cowboy hats and cowboy boots on a regular basis. We save that for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and College Football games! Cars are essential in Houston and if you do not own a car some things can become pretty difficult.

What is Whataburger?

Whatever the most popular “It is 2 am and I am starving” fast-food place in your area is: that is Whataburger. It is always packed after local high school games and is open 24 hours.

The unpredictable weather

It almost NEVER snows in Houston, but the weather in Houston is like getting onto social media. Every time you check it there is something different, and sometimes it is completely crazy. Not only can it be sunny Monday, rainy Tuesday, and humid Wednesday, but the weather can change in a matter of minutes!

Galveston is the hangout spot for prom weekend/senior skip day

Teenagers in other areas have their different senior year rituals and traditions like insane house parties, but in the Houston area we go to Galveston Island, book a hotel, and spend the majority of the time at the beach getting that good ol’ Texas tan!

Southern Food

There is nothing better than walking into the house after a long day and smelling the aroma of soul food and southern cuisine!

You learn to be friendly and polite at a young age

Everyone is taught to be aware of stranger-danger, but children in the South are always expected to greet their elders and smile politely.  Once you make eye contact with a stranger, you are expected to say hello and if you do not, you know that there is a spanking coming soon in your future.

Why do people in Texas talk funny?

Yes, In Houston we say y’all instead of you all. It takes less time to say and only uses one syllable, so that is a win-win already.  The speech patterns are a little different in the South, but it is those southern habits and traditions that make Houston special. Growing up saying yes ma’am/ no ma’am and yes sir/ no sir taught me to have a whole new level of respect for my elders. It also taught me that is very hard to stop saying it and that it is weird to people in other states.

Growing up in the Houston area has taught many lessons and instilled values in me that I will carry with me the rest of my life. Even though the South has a bad rep when it comes to certain issues in our country, growing up around those ideas has taught the younger generation to be more open-minded and accepting than the generations that came before us.

I am forever grateful for the quirky/ strange perks of being a citizen of H-Town.  Our sports teams may not be the best, and the humidity might be close to unbearable, but at the end of the day, I would not trade my experiences in Houston for the world.