What to do before your internship starts

So you got the internship that you wanted, now what?

If you’re reading this article, then you’ve probably already gotten your internship, in which case, congratulations! Although you’ve already gotten the job, there still might be things that you have to/should do in the meantime. You might be asking yourself (much like I am in the picture below), “What can I do to make myself stand out in the crowd of other interns?” Well here’s everything you can do before your internship even starts that will impress your superiors and ensure that you walk in on your first day calm and confident.

Fill out the paperwork

Many companies will require you to do some form of paperwork before your first day actually comes around – my company sent me paperwork to complete prior to my first day. They might ask you for more information about yourself, whether or not you want to be on the company insurance plan, what you want your schedule to look like -the list is endless as to what they might come up with. It is important to do this paperwork on time and correctly because you never know what the company will use it for.

Go with the flow

On my pre-first day paperwork, I was asked questions like, “What would your perfect day be like?” and “What was your favorite time period in history?”. These seemed very strange at first, but now I realize that the HR department used my answers to those questions to pair me with a mentor that was similar to me. The moral of the story is, if your company sends you anything to do before you start, go along with it and complete all tasks to the best of your ability.

Do extra things to help you stand out amongst the crowd

Obviously, there are endless possibilities of things you could do before your internship starts in order to leave a good impression on your new boss(es). You don’t have to do anything crazy, but taking a few extra steps can go a long way.

Show up in person

If your company does send you paperwork to fill out prior to starting, try delivering it in person to the office rather than submitting online or in an email. It shows that you’re excited about your new job and shows your bosses that you are willing to go beyond the baseline requirements. This would also be a great opportunity for you to see your workplace, you might even meet your boss or some co-workers.

Keeping in touch

Other things you can do are reaching out to the person who interviewed you in a simple but meaningful way. An e-mail expressing your gratitude and excitement to be a part of the company goes a long way. After all, this person chose you out of all the candidates that applied, so the least you could do is thank them. If you have any questions about the workplace environment, go ahead and ask! You might want to know the dress code of your office, where to park on the first day, if there’s anything specific you should bring on the first day, and any other simple but relevant questions that you can think of.

In short, there are countless things you can do prior to starting your internship that will leave a positive impression on your new boss. Some people take it too far, some people don’t do enough, so try to find a balance of things you can do to put yourself out there without being overbearing.

CAUTION: Using all of these tips might make your new boss like you too much, so be aware.