All the words you need to stop saying if you ever want a job

Like, really

According to a study conducted at Princeton University, it only takes one-tenth of a second to form a first impression. Whether you are simply communicating with others as a young professional, meeting someone you are potentially interested in, or trying to impress an interviewer for a future job, the way in which you present yourself is crucial. Speech is one of the first ways that you can formulate that impression.

Here are some words and phrases that you should eliminate from your vocabulary—in professional settings, job interviews, and ordinary polite conversation.

Really

Yes, really. This is the word people used in poor high school writing when they had to meet a certain word count and were this close. “The Origin of the Species by Charles Darwin was a really really really really vital contribution to modern science.” (Don’t ever do that.)

“Really” is a word that should be eliminated from everyday conversation, unless you wish to sound like an inarticulate valley girl á la Cher Horowitz: Clueless. “Really” serves the purpose of modifying an adjective, so if you are still looking to accomplish that, try using it as an excuse to expand your vocabulary.

Instead of feeling “really angry,” at your significant other, perhaps you are furious, irate, livid, or indignant. Rather than telling your boss you are, “really excited,” about a position, say you are ecstatic, elated, passionate, or enthusiastic. If you are going to apply a new word in conversation, please just make sure you are using it correctly.

Very

Same rules apply here as above.

Any form of text abbreviations spoken aloud 

With texting and social media consuming so much of our daily routines, it’s easy to let the way we communicate digitally cross over into our conversation habits (even if we sometimes do it ironically). Young people everywhere say LOL, JK, OMG, BRB, and other abbreviations aloud, while they were once reserved for typing on a screen—and it does not bode well for professionalism. U R not hired.

Oh my God/Oh my gosh

Oh my God—please do not say this in a professional setting, unless you are auditioning to be a contestant on the next season of the Bachelor.

Like

When someone asks you a question—whether it is in ordinary conversation or in a job interview—it is acceptable to pause and think about what you would like to say before you say it. You can even reply, “I am going to take a moment to think about that question.” The person you are speaking to will appreciate that you took the time to formulate a thoughtful response, rather than spitting out the first idea that popped into your head.

We tend to use “like” as a filler when we are nervous, indecisive, or searching for the right words to say. Unfortunately, if you like, are so like, passionate about this position and feel that you would like, make a valuable like, important asset to the team—the person you are conversing with is probably going to be counting how many times you used the word, “like,” rather than listening to what you had to say. Saying “like,” every other word isn’t going to make anyone take you seriously.

The same goes for the date you are trying to impress and your roommate’s parents you are meeting for the first time. Pause first.

Literally

This word is becoming more commonly misused among young people (and Chris Traeger from Parks and Recreation) when they want to put extreme emphasis on something, and it’s easy to casually throw it into conversation. However, in doing so, it contradicts its own definition and makes the person using it sound less qualified.

It was so funny, “you literally died?” How are you still here telling this story if you literally died? The guy who hit on you last night “literally looked like a thumb?” Wow! Please tell me more about how that is anatomically possible!

Honestly

This is another filler word commonly used as a crutch or to stress importance. However, as soon as you claim, “I honestly see myself working for this company,” it raises doubt about the truthfulness behind everything you previously stated and everything that follows that statement.

Seriously 

The same rule seriously applies here. Seriously.

Derogatory usage of a non-derogatory word

For example, “gay” should never be used as a synonym for “stupid.”

Irregardless

Many people mistakenly use “irregardless,” when they actually mean “regardless.” The prefix ir- means “not,” “regard” means “attention or concern for something,” and the suffix –less means “without.” “Regardless,” translates to “without regard,” but irregardless is a double-negative.

Irregardless is not a word, so don’t use it. 

Obsessed

Chances are, at one time or another you have loosely thrown around the word, “obsessed,” without thinking much about it. You may have said, “I am obsessed with The Office—Dwight Schrute is my spirit animal,” “I am obsessed with my dog,” or probably, “I’m obsessed with Beyoncé and want to travel the world with her and be Blue Ivy’s nanny.” You may be crazy in love with Queen Bey, but you probably don’t have a Helga Pataki style closet shrine dedicated to her or a creepy serial killer map with pins tracking her every move—at least, let’s hope not.

When you are “obsessed” with everything under the sun, it not only makes you sound like either a lovesick fangirl or a deranged, Fatal Attraction stalker, but it also lowers your credibility for how much you enjoy what you are claiming to love.

Stuff

“… and stuff,” is a lazy way to end a sentence. What stuff? Don’t leave the people on the other side of the conversation hanging—give them the details they wish to hear.

Etcetera

People have a bad habit of letting their sentences trail off into the abyss and ending them with etc. Using etcetera excessively comes across that lack confidence, decisiveness, and attention to detail.

People also use etc. to imply that there is more to something without having to explain.

Interviewer: Describe yourself to me.

Interviewee: I am hard working, focused, dedicated, etc.

Perhaps you froze up and only had three words come to mind, but you wanted the interviewer to believe there are more words that describe you, so you threw in the “etc.” It is stronger to pick a few solid examples and stand by them confidently, rather than to let your words fade off into “etc.”

Aside from phrases that should never be used, you are not going to eliminate these words from your vocabulary overnight. Slow down. Take a breath before you speak.

You have wonderful conversations to share with the world, and others are going to be thrilled to hear what you have to say.