Bernie supporters are suing California to extend the voter registration deadline

Californians: Your vote counts

Yesterday was the deadline to register to vote in the primaries in the state of California. But if you didn’t manage to sneak in there before midnight, there may still be a chance to have your voice heard.

A few of Senator Bernie Sanders’ supporters have championed a suit to extend the voter registration deadline until election day – June 7th. The suit claims that the rules for voting in the primary are not being made clear to voters, and as a result can cause unnecessary disenfranchisement. There is no word yet on whether or not the suit will be agreed with by a judge.

As a born and bred Californian, I take extreme pride in my state; we may be crazy and sometimes talk like we’ve just emerged from the Land of Like, but we’re the best. And I’m allowed to say that. We have the largest GDP by, let’s just say, a lot; we have the hub of entertainment and technology in Los Angeles and San Francisco respectively, and pretty much everywhere you go, the state is beautiful.

Evidence: the picturesque town of Trinidad. Betcha didn’t know we had a Trinidad, huh?

Anyway, I digress. Despite our grandiose nature and all our amazing qualities, we’re next to last on the list of primaries, meaning we vote for who we’d like to see representing our political party in early June, well after almost every other state.

We have 546 Democratic delegates and 172 Republican delegates to be proportionally designated to all the major candidates based on our votes – who as of now are Clinton, Sanders, and Trump. These are no chump change numbers folks! Your vote can very probably affect how many delegates Clinton gets, if you’re #FeelingTheBern. Alternatively if #YoureWithHer (or is it #ImWithHer?), your vote counts just the same!

Only DC finishes after us…

However, you have to be registered to vote to make that vote count, something as easy as clicking here.

In the event that this suit goes through, you should be allowed to register for the next two weeks. If you’re not sure if you’re already registered – check here. And if you’re wondering whether or not all the hullaballoo is worth registering at all, or you’re scared of making the wrong decision, never fear– your opinion and your voice deserve to be heard. Use your best judgment. If you think it isn’t worth the hassle and just want to wait until the general, I implore you to reconsider.

Every single vote counts this election, especially if you’re a democrat!

Me, when you claim you’re too busy to register

Updates to follow. If anything changes, get out there and sign up, y’all! Make me proud.