South African variant of Covid-19 identified in Southampton

Southampton City Council is sending home testing kits to all those over 16 in the SO15 5 area

The South African variant of Covid-19 has been identified in Southampton.

The case was found in the SO15 5 area of Southampton and the person has been identified and has self-isolated. Healthcare officials said the case could not be traced back to international travel.

Southampton City Council has urged every person over 16 in the SO15 5 postcode to get tested.

The council tweeted: “Following a confirmed case of the Covid-19 South African variant in SO15 5 we will be surge testing residents. If you are 16+ and live in SO15 5 you will get a home testing kit or can go to the testing unit at Atherley Bowling Cub.”

The letters should be distributed to those affected today and the council is aiming to deliver the testing kits on Thursday 18 February. People in the area are urged to take the test whether they have symptoms or not.

On the council’s website, it said: “Anyone who lives in the SO15 5 postcode area but does not receive a pack to their home on Thursday 18 February should visit the mobile testing unit at Atherley Bowling Club, Hill Lane SO15 5DB”.

Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tests will be used for the surge testing. PCR tests involve taking a swab or the nose and throat.

The council also said: “The aim of the targeted testing exercise is to help better understand and prevent the spread of new variants.”

All SO15 5 postcodes will be asked to get tested, you can find the full list of affected postcodes here.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Meet the Soton students who have received the Covid-19 vaccine

The top 10 prettiest Soton parks to go to for a walk during lockdown

Soton students, here’s how to recreate every single Soton night out you’re missing