From dark academia to Y2K: Navigating Edinburgh Uni’s current fashion trends

ECFS x The Tab Edinburgh: Are you ready?

Whether you’re a fresh faced first year, or a well-weathered fourth year, by this time in the semester you’ll be well acquainted with Edinburgh’s signature styles.

The unofficial guidelines get passed down year to year, with many newcomers prepping their Pinterest boards well in advance of September and to keep you in the know, the Edinburgh Charity Fashion Show (ECFS) are partnering with The Tab on this content series, documenting Edinburgh library looks to celebrate student style.

Whether you want to know where to shop sustainably, get the gist on the latest trends, or just watch your peers slowly descend into the winter months (or the pyjamas to your all nighter months), look no further.

1. A y2k moment

Starting off strong with this Y2K layered look. The clashing Canadian tuxedo is everything, but the accessories are the true star: Blue skinny scarf, plumb leather bag, tan belt, and even some hot pink Tabis. We’d argue that the wired headphones are an accessory too! We love a nostalgic tech moment.

2. Layers, layers, layers

A big theme in this edition is layers: They’re the perfect antidote to the ever unpredictable Edinburgh weather, in combination with the micro-climate of the library, which is essentially a sauna. We’re so happy to see autumnal colours out in full force, especially in these fun combos. Leg warmers, sunnies, good boots and a trusty vintage jumper scream “PSL in the Meadows”, and we’re here for it.

3. Dark academia

Edinburgh is the home of dark academia, so it’s fitting to see so many autumnal takes on the preppy vibe. Topped with a beret and a tote bag, it’s the perfect look for cobbled streets and afternoons in Armchair Books.

4. Textures

Seeing as October is the month of Halloween, some grungy vibes are definitely in order. Clashing textures like lace and leather make every outfit more interesting, and a fun print is an easy way to keep some character in your look.

Who are we? We’re the Edinburgh Charity Fashion Show (ECFS). Every spring, we host one of Edinburgh’s biggest and best black tie events (if we do say so ourselves), all the profits going to our chosen charity partner.

With 16 years of experience bringing together the UK’s brightest fashion up and comers, we’re proud to be back this year with another stellar line up of designers. So, if you can’t wait till the spring for more from us, keep an eye out for this weekly column capturing the Edinburgh student experience through style.