Edinburgh Uni ranked first in the UK in the QS World University Sustainability Rankings

Edinburgh was also named fourth in the world for its sustainability

The QS World University Rankings have named Edinburgh University as the top institution for sustainability in the UK.

The University also placed fourth globally out of over 700 higher institutions listed in the world rankings.

This is the first year that sustainability is part of the framework for the QS World University Rankings, and offers new insights about the varying degrees of institutional engagement with the environmental and social agenda.

Edinburgh University scored 98.3 out of 100 for social impact and was the only UK based institution to list among the top 10 for environmental impact with a score of 81.5 out of 100.

The number one university globally for sustainability was the University of California in Berkley, and the second best UK university for sustainability was The University of Glasgow, which ranked 13th globally.

The University has set itself ambitious targets for making strong and lasting contributions to addressing climate change, including a target to becoming net zero by 2040.

Commitments include the institution’s complete divestment from fossil fuels, a sustainable travel policy, and plans to capture and store more than one million tonnes of unavoidable carbon dioxide emissions.

Peter Mathieson commented that “these rankings reflect the efforts of our staff and students in making the University of Edinburgh more environmentally and socially responsible.”

Our own strategy aligns the University with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, and we continue to deliver positive change locally and globally through our academic research, education, operations and partnerships. I’m really pleased to see our progress being recognized.”