Until women get paid the same, I want men to pay for dates

It’s a statement

Ever since equality has become a part of social norms, one question that has been difficult to answer is who should pay for a date. Traditionally a a man has paid because it was the ‘gentlemanly’ thing to do.

But now that women are educated the same as men and are getting jobs in the same places, it seems like we should be able to afford to go dutch.

Actually, boys earn more. The gender pay gap means that in our lifetime boys are likely to earn up to £300,000 more than girls according to the Fawcett Society. That’s the price of a house in a reasonably priced area (sorry Oxford). What are they going to do with all this excess money?

Girls have more expenses too, just think about tampons, according to an article by the Mirror in 2015, periods will cost a woman more than £18,000 in their lifetime. Even something as simple as getting your hair cut costs more if you’re female. £50 for a girl is a cheap hair cut, £26 for a boy is expensive. Basically, it’s so much cheaper to be a boy.

You’ll make bae happy

Sometimes it’s nice to be treated. We have to go through the pain of childbirth, monthly cramps and bleeding for 5 days each month, sometimes we just need a glass of wine. So, if your girlfriend or date has had a bit of a crappy day then you just buying a glass of wine (or a bottle) can make her feel much better. And being a good person will make you feel nice about yourself too.

Women who choose to have children also lose out on wages too, despite men being able to take paternity leave too the trend is still towards a woman looking after the children. Less time in work means less time to earn money.

Until women get paid the same as men, it just makes sense that men should pay for any dates. And if you really can’t afford to take her out, just cook for her instead. There’s nothing hotter than a man in the kitchen.

The Tab is a platform for debate, if you want to share your opinion email [email protected].