Gay icons

Only a true gay icon is getting 20/20 on this gay icons lyrics quiz

Pride playlist? Sorted

Pride isn’t Pride without music. And music wouldn’t be music without gay icons!

So many queens and kings of pop have graced us with Pride anthems over the years. When Pride rolls around, every girl, gay and they across the country is whipping up a Pride playlist filled with banger after banger that makes us feel euphoric, confident and, well, proud!

Madonna. Whitney. Kylie. Britney. Mariah. We still blast their bops to this day. But the gay icons keep on coming, with Rina Sawayama, MNEK, Lil Nas X and Olly Alexander continuing to make music more represented, more queer and more iconic. Music is going from strength to strength with LGBTQ+ representation, and with Call Me By Your Name being one of the biggest songs of the year in 2021 it feels like we are finally seeing some real advancements in mainstream queer music.

But how well do you REALLY know the lyrics to the bangers you’re shouting along to? Can you tell your Madonna classics from your Mariah? Do you know your Troyes from your Ollys?

Test yourself on our gay icons lyrics quiz!

The Tab’s Pride reporting series is putting a focus on highlighting LGBTQ+ issues and celebrating queer voices across UK campuses.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story you can contact Switchboard, the LGBTQ+ helpline, on 0300 330 0630 or visit their website. You can also find help through The Mix

If you’ve got a story you’d like to tell us – whether it’s an incident of homophobia on campus, an experience you’d like to share, or anything you think we should hear, get in touch in confidence by emailing [email protected]

Read more from The Tab’s Pride series:

• Take this quiz to find out how much you actually know about LGBTQ+ history

• Unis aren’t actually abandoning Stonewall, in Pride Month, over a trans rights controversy

• We asked young LGBTQ+ people to tell us their queer icons and heroes