Who we are

12165968_10207727765782468_1233045341_n

The Tab is a platform for the most talented young journalists to report and write, professionally and independently.

We are a new kind of news network – a bottom-up organization that favors originality over rehashed content, reporting over lists, and realizes that newspapers and TV networks suck so much at reporting on young people that young people now deserve to do it themselves.

Our coverage is run by young editors locally and backed up by our newsrooms in London and New York, which support and train Tab reporters.

Founded at Cambridge University in 2009, by three students who wanted a news site that reported on campus life rather than focusing on its institutions, we now have teams at more than 80 colleges in America and the UK. Tab reporters have broken national stories and write for some of the most engaged audiences in journalism.

We arrived in America this summer, and have active reporting teams at two dozen colleges from UVA to Yale. They are already reporting on-campus stories which were being ignored before. And they are writing about college life in ways that aren’t possible at traditional student newspapers, where red tape and formality can often trump originality and fun and flair.

It’s been a big year for columnists and talk-show hosts telling the nation what is supposedly going on at colleges: political correctness stifling free speech. An epidemic of sexual assault. Fraternities threatening the lives of freshman students. But many students don’t agree with how they are being portrayed. And they’re starting to write about it – and report on what is really going on – on Tab sites.

Sometimes a relevant story is a funny photo, sometimes it’s a big campaign that saves lives. They aren’t all of equal value, but the fabric of a community depends on a variety of stories, reported by the community itself.

The world needs more of this kind of journalism. By teaching young people to report on their own worlds, we are resurrecting local news for a new age. If you want to be a political reporter, a commentator, or a foreign correspondent, you have to learn the practical skills of going out and talking to people.

In the UK, we hire our best editors. In New York, we expect our paid team of editors, developers and social media producers to number 50 by the end of next summer. Other Tab alumni are working for Reuters, the Guardian, BuzzFeed and the Daily Mail – and three of the four trainees at the Daily Telegraph this year were Tab editors.

We don’t have an agenda. Like the real world, The Tab is a chaotic platform for reporting and debate – one supported by a powerful tech division that spreads local stories to a huge audience.

What we are doing is new and it is ambitious – a powerful, grassroots network of reporters who care about originality and know the value of real journalism and having nothing off-limits.

Click here to join us.