We asked Northerners to describe every Southern state using only one word

Describe Alabama: ‘Reese Witherspoon’

“So have you become a barbecue expert?” Such a question was recently posed by a close family friend upon my return home to Connecticut following my second year at a university in North Carolina.

Somewhat perplexed by the question, having taken courses in English, Science and Math, the last subject I had perhaps mastered was barbecue. And yet, to this typical Northerner, having spent little time in the South, drawing from country songs and classic movies, the South was a place of barbecue ribs, cornbread and collard greens.

Having spent the last two years in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, though perhaps not the most “Southern” state, I have to admit that beyond the slight change in accent, warmer weather and sweeter tea, I have not noticed a drastic difference between the Northern and Southern regions of our country.

With that said, out of pure curiosity, I wanted to explore my fellow Northerners’ perception of the states below the Mason-Dixon.

Mike, 21, Massachusetts

The South: “Texas

Southern food: “Barbecue

Southern people: “Cowboys

Tennessee: “Oh gosh, I don’t know – what is in Tennessee?

Mississippi: “River

Alabama: “James” (apparently a friend from college)

Florida: “Miami

North Carolina: “South Carolina

Hannah, 20, Connecticut

The South: “Hot

Southern food: “Grits

Southern people: “Accents

Tennessee: “Country

Mississippi: “New Orleans

Alabama: “Pick-up truck

Florida: “Sun

North Carolina: “Colleges

Nick, 21, New York 

The South: “NASCAR

Southern food: “Fried Chicken

Southern people: “Rednecks

Tennessee: “Music

Mississippi: “River

Alabama: “The Song (I’m assuming Sweet Home Alabama)

Florida: “Vacation

North Carolina: “Carolina Panthers

George, 83, New Jersey 

The South: “Hospitality

Southern food: “Bacon and grits

Southern people: “Friendly

Tennessee: “Opery Land

Mississippi: “River

Alabama: “Crimson Tide

Florida: “Marco Island

North Carolina: “Myrtle Beach

Taylor, 24, Massachusetts

The South: “Fried chicken

Southern food: “Whiskey

Southern people: “Paula Deen

Tennessee: “Vanderbilt

Mississippi: “River

Alabama: “Reese Witherspoon

Florida: “Grandparents

North Carolina: “Mountains

Though it is my hope that whether you are a Northerner or a Southerner, the above answers made you giggle or at least crack a smile. I will admit that I found myself slightly disappointed at the end of my inquiry. Though I cannot attest to the reality of certain Southern states listed such as Alabama or Mississippi,  I can guarantee North Carolina offers experiences and must-see destinations far beyond that of the “Carolina Panthers.”

While it was my perhaps unrealistic hope that this game would bring about conversation or deeper meaning regarding the South, it seems as though many of the classic Southern stereotypes have prevailed.