Songs that perfectly describe living in the South

There’s nothing better than a pair of bluejeans and a guitar by the water

Music is a major part of every Southerner’s life, especially when it comes to learning about and reinforcing Southern norms and values. From the very beginning of my life, my parents have always introduced me to new music and artists and let me pick the radio stations, allowing me to truly develop my own taste and preferences.

These songs are not only some of my absolute favorites, but they’re also some of the songs I always think of when people ask me to describe different aspects of my life. What I aspire to be, what I have to remind myself, what I have to watch out for – these songs say it all.

Humble and Kind by Tim McGraw

This is the book of rules every mom and dad teaches their kids, perfectly summed up in this sweet tune.

Village by Cam

The truth of living in a Southern town: everyone knows you and everyone is looking out for you. Whenever you move on to a new chapter of your life, they move with you.

Breakup in a Small Town by Sam Hunt

The sad reality of breaking up with someone or even just letting go of people – it always hurts one person more than it hurts the other and is inevitably very hard to ignore.

Way Back Home by Jennifer Nettles

A new tune off of Jennifer Nettles new album, written for her son. It is a great reminder that no matter where we are, we can always figure out a way to get home.

Beer in the Headlights by Luke Bryan

Hard to ignore the applicability – whether it’s sweet tea or a beer, parking lot parties do exist and there is absolutely nothing better than friends and a radio.

Alright by Darius Rucker

Might be cliche, but this song is a reminder to truly appreciate all of the little things in life. There’s nothing better than that.

It’s America by Rodney Atkins

One of the cutest country songs highlighting not only the things that are loved most about America, but the things that are loved most about the South.

Something More Than Free by Jason Isbell

A Grammy-winning album and a very underrated songwriter, Jason Isbell will be the most famous songwriter in the world one day. This song is perfect to describe working-class Southerners in an artful and subtle way. Let us all raise a toast to being something more than free.

Barefoot Blue Jean Night by Jake Owen

I can confirm there is nothing better than a pair of bluejeans and a guitar by the water.

Sideways by Dierks Bentley

Such a fun and old tune, showing exactly how night life is in the city (or the country).

The House That Built Me by Miranda Lambert

A sad ballad reminding us all that we have strong connection to our families, and with that, a connection to our first home. A lot of people remain in their hometown for that reason. It’s a connection we can not deny.

Springsteen by Eric Church

Summer in the South – not going to lie, it’s great.

Wide Open Spaces by Dixie Chicks

Everyone wants to explore and learn to be themselves. Some people leave, others don’t, but the people who do go far and don’t really look back.

Learned it From the Radio by Thomas Rhett

Especially growing up in Nashville, music is a huge influence on how we learn how to live. It tells us how to love, how to treat people right, how to treat ourselves right and that it’s OK to feel. That’s a lot of lessons.

Helluva Life by Frankie Ballard

In the end, it’s a helluva life.