Why you should start working as soon as you can

From cutting your neighbors lawns to babysitting your little sister’s friends, it’s all good experience

Ever since I was a little guy back in the day, my dad would constantly bicker me to go do chores around the house (cutting the lawn, trash duty, etc.). This lead me to eventually do chores for my neighbors, who had no kids for them to harass and were too lazy to do the chores themselves.

This was great for me because I earned movie theater money to go out and sneak into the next R movie that weekend with all my buddies. Why is this so important though? Well, this work ethic I built as a young dude helped me eventually get real jobs easier and I knew what I had to do once I got hired. I know a lot of 16 year olds out there are constantly being reminded by their parents that they need to find a job, and yeah it sucks, but trust me, go get a job.

My name-tag for my first real job back in 2010

This is because a job teaches you some of the most important lessons in life and creates ample opportunities for you in the future. Are you still skeptical?

Experience/Resume

Maybe kids just starting high school don’t really think about their future resume troubles in college, but getting any type of work experience is key to even having a resume in the future. I have seen it so many times here at UCSB where a 19/20 year old can’t build a resume because they have never worked before; don’t be that person. I never personally thought about a resume until my senior year of high school, but when I went to sit down and do it, it was actually pretty easy because of the multiple work experiences I already had under my belt. Plus, employers love to see that a young person was willing to go out and get a job, it shows a lot about a person. Get a job now and early because at the end of the day, it will come in handy in a few years.

Gain responsibility

A lot of young people still have trouble with responsibility. No, I am not just talking about showing up to work on time, I am talking about cleaning their homes, doing their schoolwork on-time, and the list goes on and on. When I was a freshman, I vividly remember being scared to show up late to clock in at the supermarket I was working at. This helped me realize that the people were dependent on me showing up on time and fulfilling my duties or else the team wouldn’t be as successful. These type of responsibilities had at a young age helped me at home, school, and in my personal life.

Doing something productive 

It Is pretty simple: sports and work get kids/young adults out of the house and get them doing something productive. Instead of playing video games all day (or drinking beer for all you college kids) young adults are now making money and contributing to the world. Get out, get active, and make that cash.   

Lifeguarding at beautiful Lake Tahoe

Learn how to interact with people from all walks of life

Yes, I know it is hard, but learning how to work with different people is extremely important throughout life, so why not learn at an early age? People who work throughout high school and college learn how to deal with situations with different people. Whether it be some stupid drama at the workplace, trying to carry some heavy inventory in the warehouse, or going head-to-head with somebody over an idea for the company, co-workers are constantly interacting and communicating. Getting comfortable with these communication skills help people eventually land jobs with interviewers and feel better at the work-place. It also carries to your everyday life, whether it is talking to a professor or the chick/dude you like.

I guess working at your Dad’s law firm counts

Financial Lessons 

These include: knowing really how hard it is to obtain money, learning how to spend your cash/paycheck, how to budget, and how much money to save and put away for the future.  We are all young, but it is so important to learn little things like cashing a paycheck, depositing money into a saving account, endorsing checks, and even filing taxes. Working at a young age helps you learn all these little skills that help throughout life. Also, when you work at a young age, you appreciate money so much work because of all the hard work you put in; it does feel a lot better when you spend your own money on something you really wanted, you actually earned it.

Makes you find a balance between everything 

I think this might be the most important point I want to make here. Finding a balance in life is one the hardest but crucial things one must do to be successful. Because of working throughout high school and college, people now use schedules, which allows them to stay organized with so much going on. Working teaches you how to juggle work, school, sports, and free-time effectively and efficiently. Finding balance is a special skill, but starting at a younger age can really help you live less stressful life.

Runs in the family

Just go out there and work. Be a productive human because it doesn’t just help the world, but it comes back to help you as well.