The woman who lived to be 117 credits her longevity to not being ‘dominated’ by a man

I’d stay single if I had an ex like hers tbh

Emma Morano, the oldest person in the world, died at 117 years-old on April 15, 2017. Before she passed away she credited much of her longevity to never remarrying after she kicked her husband out in 1938.

Morano was born on November 29 in 1899, and was married to a man who told her “If you’re lucky you marry me or I’ll kill you,” she said in an interview with La Stampa. Morano never wanted to marry him because she fell in love with a boy who died in World War I, and she had no interest in anyone else, but she chose her life and married him. However, after their six-month-old son died in 1938, Morano kicked her husband out.

After that, Morano stayed single for the next 79 years of her life, deciding to never remarry because, she “didn’t want to be dominated by anyone.” Can someone make this a bumpersticker please?

Morano also ate three raw eggs everyday, didn’t leave her apartment for 20 years, and had some pretty strong genes that helped her live longer — one of Morano’s sisters lived to be almost 100, and another lived to be 102.

Morano isn’t the only long-living woman to credit her longevity to staying single. A Mexican woman, Leandra Becerra Lumbreras, died at the age of 127 and credits her long life to never getting married and eating loads of chocolate. This is all the proof I need that I’ll be just fine.

Lumbreras was also a member of the “Adelitas,” a group of soldiers who fought with the rebels in the Mexican Revolution in 1910.

Misao Okawa was also 117 when she died in 2015. She told the Japan Times the secret to life was “eating delicious things,” like ramen noodles, so if you’re not quite ready to give up men stick to excessive amounts of cheap ramen instead.

The moral of story is tell him boy bye, and never turn down ramen or chocolate, because it just might save your life.

University of Wisconsin