I would never trade my boyfriend for a college experience

My love story isn’t one that I would give up for someone else’s idea of a college experience

Since we’ve all accepted we’re living in the society of “hook up culture”, it seems as though we’ve also written off long-term relationships as a thing of the past.

It’s not about which one is right or wrong. Rather, it’s about what makes you feel like the best version of yourself. Either way, your first priority should always be loving yourself before trying to love others.

That being said, we see articles about how fulfilling being in control of our love life can make people. We see the college relationships that didn’t last because both parties decided they needed to “experience the world”. Somewhere along the way we were taught to think if you’re in a relationship in college, you’re not getting the full “experience”.

While I don’t judge anyone for taking time to find themselves, I hate that we instantly think young relationships will fail. I also hate that we think we’re all part of a cookie cutter, one-size-fits-all college experience. The priorities that are extremely important for one person, might not even cross my mind. I’ve had a boyfriend throughout college thus far, and I’ve never regretted it for a second. Honestly, I can’t even begin to imagine college without him.

My boyfriend, Teegan Lentz, and I have been dating for almost two years. He is my absolute best friend. I can communicate with him through random movie puns, he’s seen me cry because my period cramps were so bad, and he’s held me during a panic attack. We go to different schools; which is always a struggle, but we’ve always made the distance work.

When everything seems to be going wrong in my life, he can always turn my day around. He’s the one thing that’s constantly bright. Watching someone you love struggle with anxiety everyday can be really difficult for anyone to deal with. Teegan does it everyday and still looks cute doing it.

He’s helped me learn to love all the flaws I used to hate about myself. He helps me through the midterms, long shifts, and terrible grades. I could probably write a novel about all the wonderful things I think about him throughout the course of a day. I’m so lucky to have him now, and I will not be letting him go anytime in the future.

“He keeps me motivated when times get rough” Maddie Schur says about boyfriend of four years, Justin Lynch.

My roommate, Maddie Schur, had some similar things to say about her relationship with her boyfriend, Justin Lynch. After nearly four and a half years, these two literally act like a married couple already. “I think I’m lucky, because I found him so young ,and I’ve always been so sure that no matter what I would keep a hold of him. It’s nice to have that ‘sure’ area when life is up in the air. Like, I know exactly what I’m working towards with him even if school and stuff feels unsure at times,” she says.

If you want a relationship like Maddie’s, just find someone to play Monopoly Empire with and make dinners that rival Thanksgiving. No joke, they’re a married couple!

“I fall more and more in love with him everyday,” Alexa McGoey says of her picture perfect relationship with high school sweetheart, Alex Marro.

Having entered freshman year at UW with a relationship, a good friend, Alexa McGoey also doesn’t really know what it’s like to not have her boyfriend, Alex Marro. Though Alex plays baseball in Missouri, Alexa still had only good things to say about long distance, long-term relationships.

“Since we started dating two years ago, Alex has blossomed into being my absolute best friend. Distance means nothing to me when his love and support means so much. Being that he’s an athlete, we may go a month without seeing each other, but I love being his biggest fan and traveling to his games just like he loves supporting me with all of my art work, dance, and school work. Distance isn’t the most enjoyable aspect of our relationship, but it’s an inevitable aspect for us and so why not make the most of it? We enjoy visiting each other and exploring each other’s campuses. Whenever I’m with him, it feels like I’m home and that’s why the distance is worth it to me,” she said.

Claire’s relationship of nearly two years melted quite a few hearts

Lastly, Claire VanValkenburg had a very accurate and memorable quote to share with us all when asked about her relationship of about two years. “Having a man in college is like remembering to wear rain boots when it storms. Everything is shitty and stressful, but at least you can rely on something to keep you happy and comfortable,” she said.

So, after that sap fest, why do the odds have to be against high school sweethearts? No, my relationship isn’t passing the time for me to find “the one”. I totally respect people who take time to focus on themselves, school, and work. Your college experience is going to be great. My college experience isn’t any less than yours, because I chose to do it with my best friend by my side.

University of Wisconsin