How to respond to sexist comments

‘The patriarchy looks a little heavy for you, but I’m not going to help you carry it’

The majority of us have experienced sexism. Whether it comes from your best friend or a stranger on the street, it’s always offensive. We have gathered a collection of responses to some of the more common comments to ensure you can have some bomb-ass come-backs ready for your next encounter with a sexist person.

‘You look different, are you sick?’

Respond with: “If you think no makeup makes me look sick, then your soul needs a makeover.”

It’s so offensive when a guy assumes you are sick because your face is ‘less pretty’ isn’t it? This will get the message across with a foolproof response for even the densest of people.

‘You must be on your period’

Respond with: “You must be a meninist.”

This cop-out is so outdated, yet we still hear it being used to demean women, and make them feel as if they are acting irrationally. What better way to respond than with an equally demeaning message.

‘You don’t have to shave for me’ 

Respond with: “You don’t have to enforce gender expectations on me.”

Oh honey, if you think I shaved for you, you’ve obviously never felt hairless legs against smooth bed sheets. Women shave for 99 reasons, but you probably aren’t one. Not to mention if we choose not to shave you have no right to comment or care. It’s our body, and we will do with it as we please.

‘My ex? Yeah, she was a crazy bitch’

Respond with: “Sure, or maybe you were just someone she didn’t want to be with and your inferiority complex can’t handle that.”

We should be done with the days of shaming women for taking a stance and deciding what they want in a relationship. Being an outspoken women, does not equal a crazy women, and any man who calls a woman crazy is probably just too insecure to understand this concept. Not to mention, calling anyone crazy is highly offensive to anyone who has ever experienced mental health issues.

‘Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?’

Respond with: “Did it hurt when you used a demeaning and overused pickup line instead of just getting to know me? Because the vomit burned my throat.”

The best clap-backs are the ones that cause the person to physically take a step back. If you ever are hit on in this way, make them bow down with this response. If they aren’t trying to apologize profusely as you walk away, then you didn’t hit them with the come-back hard enough.

‘Let me walk you home, you’ll need the protection’

Respond with: “Yeah, from you.”

If anyone tells you you need protection (other than during sex), don’t accept it from them. This response is a clear way to get the message across women can handle themselves (thank you very much). If you feel unsafe in your community take measures to protect yourself such as self-defense classes or carrying pepper spray on your key-chain.

‘Smile!’

Respond with: “No. Fuck off.”

Look pleased when you want to, look pissed when you want to. Don’t let someone dictate your emotions.

‘Babe, I thought you’d be good at this…’

Respond with: “I thought you’d be more aware of gender shaming, but hmm, guess not.”

Someone should never assume you will be good or bad at something simply based on what sex organs you have. Even if you’ve been with someone for years, manipulation or emotional assault can happen at any stage of a relationship. Ensure your partner will get the message with this response.

‘An engineering major? Honey, give it up while you can still change majors’

Respond with: “Please boy, step aside and allow me to take your job someday.”

Establishing a spot in a male-dominated career field is not easy, but don’t let that discourage you! Own your smarts, and if you have to, open a can of whoop-ass on their gendered expectations.

‘Do you need help with that? It looks a little heavy for you’

Respond with: “The patriarchy looks a little heavy for you, but I’m going to help you carry it.”

Step back, bro. My eyebrows are on fleek and so are my clap-backs, you don’t want to mess with this, plus I don’t think you can handle anymore weight than you’re already carrying with that heavy ego.

Unfortunately sexist comments are a part of everyday life, but that doesn’t mean they should be tolerated. Don’t be afraid to take a stand, and fire back a comment that will show them their sexism will not be tolerated.

University of Wisconsin