We owe our mothers so much for all they have done

Daughters be good to your mothers

“Mothers be good to your daughters.”

Perhaps John Mayer had this backwards: daughters should be good to their mothers, because their mothers are the most selfless of people.

Their selflessness is what formed the foundation of the adults we have become. Mothers are our first connection with the world. They provide an indescribable, inherent comfort that can’t be found anywhere else. We owe them so much for all they have done.

They have lost so much sleep because of us: our endless cries, the whimpering from midnight stomaches and sniffles, times when we forgot to do a project and they helped us finish, and the nights we did not even know that they were up worrying about us.

They always have known what to say: after any break up, when we didn’t feel beautiful, the first time we really felt like we had failed, when we felt like quitting, during any existential crisis.

They have helped solve every emergency: the dent in our cars, the bad haircuts, the spilt nail polishes, the lost keys.

They have taught us how to be strong women: watching them run an office, or watching them run a household, never showing fear, their resilience after a long day, the way they multitask.

They have put us ahead of everything: careers put on hold, vacations postponed, nights with friends cancelled, evenings out cut short, hobbies diminished.

However, most importantly, they have never complained. This is where their image of indestructibility comes from. Their seemingly endless patience. This is why mothers are the foundation of our lives. As we grew old they built us up as they taught us all they knew, supported us through the most difficult times, and gave us all they had to give. Their incentive in all of this was only to see us flourish as our own people and find happiness. It is difficult to find such generosity anywhere else and it should be cherished.

We can attempt to repay this generosity by being good to our mothers. To do this, always try to check in with her at least once a month, they don’t magically stop worrying about us at 18. Continue to go to her for advice, she is always willing to give it. Remember to visit, she loves that you love where you are, but she misses you.  And always remind her how appreciative you are for all of the above, most of the time that is all she needs.

So daughters be good to your mothers too.

My beautiful mother, thank you

University of Wisconsin