UW-Madison Police apologizes to class for yesterday’s graffiti arrest

Chief Reisling apologized to the professors and students who witnessed the interruption

Yesterday a University of Wisconsin-Madison student was escorted from class and arrested for graffiti on UW buildings.

The police decided to focus their time and resources tracking this student for the last six months. Meanwhile, they are under investigation because of their protocol for sexual assaults, and racial tensions are at an all time high.

UW Police entered a campus auditorium and escorted the student from class. According to Susan Riseling, The UW-Madison Police Chief, the officer was unaware that class was in session.

Riseling said officers would not normally interrupt a class that had already started, because they are a multitude of other ways to get in contact with a student.

The police officer did not see a professor, and was not aware that class had started until the professor made herself known, Riesling said.

Reisling apologized to the professors and students who witnessed the interruption. The campus learning environment is important to the UW-Madison Police Department, and she apologized for causing a disruption.

“Because of the officer’s error in believing the class had not yet started, I extend my sincerest apologies to the students and the professor who were in this class and witnessed this interruption.”

According to Reisling the UWPD will be releasing all body camera video and external surveillance video related to the incident as soon as possible.

Reisling said the content of the graffiti had no influence on how the officers responded. Graffiti is a crime and the UWPD investigates every report they receive.

University of Wisconsin