10 must see concerts in Los Angeles this summer

When in La La Land…

USC students do not often take summers off. Whether you are working at a job to earn extra money or have an internship in the city, you are going to have some nights free. What better way to spend those sweet summer nights in the city of angels than seeing some live music with friends?

Listed below are some of the greatest finds of the summer. There is bound to be a concert to fit every music lover.

‘La La Land’ in Concert

May 26-27, Hollywood Bowl

Don’t miss this unique opportunity to hear the soundtrack of 2016’s biggest hit movie-musical, “La La Land,” performed live at the Hollywood Bowl. Garnering the Oscar for Best Original Music Score, this legendary soundtrack will be conducted by the composer, Justin Hurwitz, himself. What could be more perfect than seeing “La La Land” performed live IN La La Land?

Dead & Company

May 31-June 1, Hollywood Bowl

Here’s two yes or yes questions: Do you like John Mayer? Do you like the Grateful Dead? Well, here’s your chance to kill two birds with one stone. Mayer will be playing with the famous band at the one and only Hollywood Bowl, making it a must see for Dead Heads and Mayer fans alike.

Ryan Adams

June 3, Greek Theater

Artist and songwriter, Ryan Adams, is incredibly prolific, with 15 solo albums to his name and that’s not to mention his work with his many bands, including Whiskeytown. Most recently, he did a cover of the entire album of Taylor Swift’s 1989, earning him much critical acclaim. Definitely check this one out for incredible singer-songwriter music with a garage-rock influence.

Ziggy Marley

June 16, Spotlight 29 Casino

The eldest son of Reggae king, Bob Marley, Ziggy carries on his father’s legacy of peace and ‘one love’ with his self-titled album, Ziggy Marley. Be sure to buy tickets for authentic Jamaican music and plenty of good vibes.

BET Experience Feat. A$AP Rocky, Schoolboy Q, Gucci Mane, Rae Sremmurd, Migos, and more

June 24, Staples Center

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your redemption for Springfest… and luckily, it is even better! A quick uber ride away from USC’s campus, BET Experience at Staples Center offers some of the world’s most famous black artists all under one roof on one night. There’s something for every fan to enjoy.

Alabama Shakes

June 24, Arroyo Seco Weekend

Alabama Shakes is performing in Pasadena, and you won’t want to miss it. The band’s sound is reminiscent of Muscle Shoals’ southern blues-rock and with hits like “Hold On” and “Don’t Wanna Fight,” you’re certain to have a good time. Oh, and did I mention that the band is comprised of all men but fronted by a black female singer? Pretty badass.

J. Cole

July 12, The Forum

Fresh off of the massive success of his hit album, 4 Your Eyez Only, J. Cole will be performing all of your favorites at the Forum. The rapper has not shied away from tackling civil rights and political issues in his work, producing music that is not only enjoyable, but also inspiring. A fantastic performer, J. Cole will be one of the highlights of your summer.

Sufjan Stevens

July 20, Hollywood Forever Cemetery

Sufjan (pronounced: Soof Yawn… you’re welcome) Stevens is a prolific songwriter and performer who began his career almost 20 years ago with a breakout hit song “To Be Alone with You” that was featured on “One Tree Hill.” Since then he has made all sorts of music: folk, indie, singer/songwriter, electronic, experimental, and religious music as well as an album called The BQE, which was written for a symphony. Needless to say, the man is a genius.

Frank Ocean, Solange, A Tribe Called Quest, Bjork, and more

July 22, Exposition Park

Is Frank Ocean actually performing? Don’t let this opportunity pass you by. You’d hate to miss Solange performing her amazing album A Seat at the Table, Bjork’s exciting and eclectic songs (fun fact: she was the first female to headline Coachella), or A Tribe Called Quest just being the legends they are. Seems like a great day of music to me.

Justin Bieber

August 5, Rose Bowl

Whether or not you’ve been a loyal fan since the days of his first single “One Time,” or you joined in when he released Purpose in 2015, Bieber is definitely going to entertain you. Guaranteed to be one of the biggest shows of the summer, I’d buy your tickets now for this pop culture icon. It’s bound to be an expensive night!

University of Southern California concerts los angeles music