Things to do instead of kissing someone this New Year’s Eve

From taking a selfie to taking a shot

For most people, New Year’s Eve parties involve shamelessly drinking and catching up with friends from back home, making it arguably one of the best holidays of the year. It is an evening dedicated to closing out one year and ringing in a new one, all in the company of loved ones.

But then that moment comes. Everyone is gathered around the TV watching the ball drop in Times Square, counting down the last seconds of the year. When the clock strikes midnight, everyone turns to their significant other — or hot stranger — for a romantic kiss. For us single folk, an awkward pause sets in as we wonder what to do in order to not look as uncomfortable as we feel surrounded by all the PDA.

I have been in this position a couple of times, and I refuse to let it happen again. Being single should not feel like a burden at midnight. In order to combat this consequence of being single, I have created a list of appropriate substitutes for the typical New Year’s kiss.

Take a shot

When in doubt, take a shot. While everyone is kissing their lover, you can spend the intimate moment with your lover, Jose Cuervo. He will without a doubt improve your mood…or make you puke.

A kiss, good or bad, has a similar effect.

Take a swig

Why settle for a shot if you can get your hands on a bottle for a good swig at midnight. In fact, why don’t you just carry this around for the rest of the night?

Kiss a platonic friend

True friends are there with you through everything, and the best of friends will be with you when the ball drops. New Year’s is all about celebrating with loved ones, and you and your close friends definitely love each other. Don’t waste your kiss on a stranger when you can kiss your BFF, or all your friends. Spread the love!

Take a cute squad pic

Who needs a traditional kiss to commemorate the moment when you can get a cute photo of you and your besties? Whether getting this photo means ripping your friend from a kiss or just simply waving over your other single friends, this photo will be pure gold. Photos are a tangible way to create a memory, and this picture will, at the very least, make a great Insta.

Take a selfie

Treat yourself to a selfie at midnight. Because, 1) It will be hilarious in the moment if everyone else is making out, especially if you get couples in the background of your picture and 2) You look bomb as hell and need to show off.

Cry

Might as well take the opportunity to make a scene by being super extra and crying. Being single sucks when you are surrounded by people reminding you of your loneliness. Manifest all of that sadness into tears that will streak down your cheeks, ruining your make-up and the moment for everyone else.

Never again will anyone need to feel awkward on New Year’s Eve. Whether you are single by choice or forever alone, own your independence.

University of Southern California