Sometimes smaller games are better

I love my Duke games but small games are great too, Roy

After Carolina’s loss to Indiana University back on Nov. 30, Roy Williams was quoted in a post-game interview saying: “Gosh. I’d like to play in front of a crowd like that in the Smith Center every night other than the frickin’ Duke game. And that was just – congratulations to them, their fans, their students. It was a big-time crowd.”

He is right, there is no game like a Duke game. But sometime smaller games are better in their own way. We may not burn furniture in the streets when they finish, but there are many perks to attending a smaller game with a proportionate crowd.

Everyone’s committed

If you’re showing up to a game on a Tuesday against a team from three states away, you’re most likely a dedicated fan or have too much time on your hands.  When you attend these events, you’re sure to be around some passionate people that make up for the lack of third section seating in the nose-bleed region.

Watching lesser seen players

These types of games are other players’ time to shine.  Who doesn’t love to see Stillman out there?  And those freshman, this is their time to prove their worth to us.

Seeing experimental plays

If there’s a large chance of a UNC win, chances are Roy will test some new plays and you’ll get to have the front row view (maybe even literally).  No doubt the players routinely completed these plays in practice, but now we get the inside look on how the Tar Heels will beat our next rival.

No lines or excessive waiting

Another perk of not having the largest crowd is not having the largest line to get in.  You don’t have to wait in the freezing rain for multiple hours while your friend brings you a bagel a few hours later.  You can walk right in and get a spot.  Can’t promise as much for the risers, but at least you can sleep in a little (even if the game is at 8pm).

Better seats

Oh, no one else wanted to come to this game?  Fine by you, because now you get to sit closer than usual, almost to the point of seeing a player’s new facial hair.  There’s nothing better than watching UNC crush someone else right in front of your eyes.

Get to see what Tar Heels do best — win

Many of these games have predicted outcomes, which leaves some suspense, but not quite biting-your-nails-off suspense.  Just sit back and cheer for your team as they score close to the triple digits. More likely to get free Bojangles’, am I right?

Though Roy is right, games with larger crowds have more energy, let’s help the players get into the game and encourage better overall spirit throughout campus. There is definitely a value to smaller games with smaller crowds.

Hope this has inspired you attend more small games this year, while we still have them.

Go Heels!

UNC