We spoke to the guy behind UNC’s hilarious ‘Osei Sleeping’ Instagram account

Junior Osei Avril falls asleep everywhere – and someone is always there to document it

When Wilson Crisler first met Osei Avril in high school, he didn’t know Osei had quite a special talent – he can fall asleep anytime, anywhere. Wilson, now a junior at Ole Miss, saw an opportunity in this.

He runs an Instagram account called “Osei Sleeping” where he documents Osei, now a junior at UNC, falling asleep on UNC’s campus and other nearby locations. In fact, the very first photo on the Insta account shows Osei sleeping at a table in a Buffalo Wild Wings.

After a long day at Buffalo Wild Wings

A photo posted by Osei Sleeping (@oseisleeps) on May 6, 2015 at 2:33pm PDT

He has fallen asleep on the toilet, at fraternity parties and in the Dean Dome (at least three times). The Instagram account has over 300 followers – though it deserves more – and about 60 photos of Osei asleep.

We asked Wilson about his good friend Osei, why he falls asleep everywhere and how it all began.

Slept through the 7th inning stretch today at the Ted #concernedlittlegirl

A photo posted by Osei Sleeping (@oseisleeps) on May 28, 2016 at 3:42pm PDT

What was your inspiration for starting this account?

[Osei] just falls asleep in the most ridiculous places. My friends and I had a GroupMe where we posted pictures of him falling asleep everywhere, and I just decided to make an Instagram account of them. I go to Ole Miss, but my younger sister is a freshman [at UNC] and I have a lot of friends here. It’s a collaboration of our friend group that takes pictures and random people who have sent them into the account, too.

The pregame was great, the nap was even better #party #fun #college

A photo posted by Osei Sleeping (@oseisleeps) on Sep 15, 2015 at 7:59am PDT

When did you start the Instagram?

About a year ago, around last summer.

Mid-pregame #flipphone

A photo posted by Osei Sleeping (@oseisleeps) on Jun 26, 2016 at 2:46pm PDT

Are the photos real?

They are all real – he just really has the ability to fall asleep anywhere. It’s amazing.

It's all shits and giggles until osei shits and sleeps #puretalent #dreams #thecranberries

A photo posted by Osei Sleeping (@oseisleeps) on Jan 30, 2016 at 9:51am PST

Is he just naturally tired or is there an underlying condition there?

He has been tested for narcolepsy but according to the tests, he doesn’t have it. He is just tired all the time. He once told me that he fell asleep waiting for a stop light at a cross walk and woke up 10 minutes later in the same spot. It’s crazy.

Sleeping like a baby at the UNC Duke game #pasthisbedtime #stopOsei #duckfuke

A photo posted by Osei Sleeping (@oseisleeps) on Feb 18, 2016 at 9:42am PST

Is this account just for fun? What’s your end goal?

It really is just for fun. In the end, I want to have all the pictures in one place to look back on.

UNC