What your major says about you

PWAD majors will live in DC and own at least one Labrador Retriever

When you sit down in Davis, you can’t really tell what major the people around you study. All you can see is your fellow Tar Heels, dying in the white lights of the lib.

But it is a known fact that every major attracts a certain type of person.

MEJO majors

Everyone tells you “print journalism is dying,” which is sad because you love the smell of paper. You’ve never read an entire issue of The New Yorker, but you subscribe anyway because it makes you feel cultured. You have strong opinions about the AP Style Book and the professors who teach it. You edit by hand in red pen and you sometimes read sentences over and over because they impress you.

Business majors

Everyone knows you are in the Business School. You are dedicated to the cause of having a successful career. You’re very practical when it comes to planning for your future and you’re always way too busy – sometimes too busy for human emotion. But when you make time to party, you party hard. You are already applying for summer internships or jobs, and you have had your eye on a specific one for months. Your friends hate you for looking so put together all the time.

ECON majors

You’ve been running an E-Trade account since freshman year of high school and you can name the last three Fed chairs. The words “Lehman Brothers” make you cringe and you hate when people use the concept of “supply and demand” incorrectly. Despite spending all your time in Gardner, you still get lost. You want to be a consultant, duh.

Pre-med majors

All of your friends think you’re a little bit psycho, especially if you’re pairing CHEM with anything. You are super organized – even your email inbox is immaculate. Somehow you make time to go to the gym, and all your friends hate you for it. When your friends go out, you are always the “responsible” one – taking home poor Johnny who got too drunk at the bar.

COMP majors

Your friends think you are a technology god because you have designed a few websites. “Joe, I don’t know how to fix your hard drive.” You have very outspoken opinions about the new iPhone, but you’re Android for life. You probably have a poster of Elon Musk hanging in your room. Pikachu is your spirit animal.

INLS majors

All of your friends always ask you if you want to be a librarian, meaning they don’t really get your major. But you are super nice about it because you probably have a heart of gold. You’ve realized it’s easier for you to talk to databases than people, but the good friends you do have absolutely love your personality. You are a total technology nerd and you are probably on Reddit at least casually.

COMM majors

You might be an athlete. Even if you aren’t an athlete, you are probably a pretty popular person since you literally study talking. You are probably really friendly and confident. You are super creative, so your sense of humor is on point. You are the Amy Schumer of your friend group.

PWAD majors

You have a serious passion for history, but chose PWAD because it’s a mix of disciplines and because you really like war. You’ve realized by now there are really no classes about “peace,” but that’s OK because you really just wanted to study why/how people kill each other. You probably dress preppy and you are pretty confident. You probably have pretty loud political views you share over Facebook statuses and NowThis videos. Your life goal is to work in Washington and own at least one Labrador Retriever.

POLI/PLCY majors

You are always explaining how your major is different than POLI or PLCY and it pisses you off. You are the person your friends always go to when they have a question about politics. None of them realize there are political races other than the presidential election. You want to be a politician, policy consultant or a lawyer. You can’t decide which option is the most insufferable.

HIST majors

You are super well read. You probably have tall bookshelves just stacked with books you’ve been wanting to read or a lit Kindle. You used to love the History Channel, but you know now all that station plays is Ice Road Truckers and Ancient Aliens. You’re really into jackets with elbow patches.

ENGL/CMPL/RELI/PHIL/ANTH/SOCI majors

You are definitely a part of the Carrboro crowd. You might have an alternative hobby, like knitting or watercolor paints. You probably really like craft beers, red wines, thrift stores and intellectual conversations over a cup of Open Eye’s coffee. You will probably find love in a coffee shop while reading a book of ancient poetry.

Language majors

Your department makes you do things that are culturally appropriative, and you aren’t sure how comfortable you are with it. You studied abroad and realized how little you know. You can’t count how many times someone has asked you to “say something in _______!” People always ask if you know how to say “fuck” in your language of choice.

EDUC majors

You’ve always known you wanted to be a teacher. You daydream about buying gold star stickers and dry erase markers for your classroom all the time. You are probably the most genuine person most people know and you truly care about people. Everyone thinks you are the parent-type of your friend group and you totally are during the day, but when you go out, you always get way too drunk.

GLBL majors

You couldn’t decide what to study at Carolina, so you decided to study everything. You have probably been to more countries than the average US Ambassador and you lowkey open credit cards for their frequent flyer miles. You want to work for the CIA, but aren’t sure if your conscience can handle it.

ARTS majors

You’re so over Carrboro and Open Eye is full of posers. Your Instagram is probably on point since you literally study aesthetic.

PHYS/ASTR majors

You’re probably the smartest person I’ve ever met.

Your major can say a lot about you. After all, it’s what you study for four years and it defines your entire career. But, no pressure or anything.

UNC