Women’s volleyball off to fantastic start

The team full of people named ‘Taylor’ is dominating the ACC

Carolina volleyball had a tough schedule to open the season, and the team responded to the challenge by only dropping one match out of their first seven. The Heels are now ranked #8 in the latest poll by the NCAA.

Three of those matches came against teams who were ranked in the top-ten AP poll at the time. The Heels won at #9 Penn State, defeated #2 Wisconsin at home and lost their lone match of the season to #5 Minnesota.

The team has also won matches against Georgia Southern, West Virginia, Duke and TCU.

Coming out of this schedule with only one loss is no small accomplishment. However, this team has the talent to beat any team in the nation.

The Penn State victory two weeks ago was the first non-conference loss for the Lions at home since 2011

When they defeated Penn State to win the Penn State Classic, Carolina players Taylor Treacy and Taylor Leath were named to the all-tournament team along with Julia Scoles, who also took home the tournament MVP award.

In the matches against Penn State and Wisconsin, it was Leath who led the team in kills. In the match against Minnesota, Taylor Borup led the team in kills.

A variety of players are contributing to this team. So far, Carolina has taken home every ACC weekly award, with Treacy and Sydnye Fields each earning one weekly honor and Julia Scoles earning two.

These are just the highlights. This team gets contributions from each member in any given match, evidenced by different members leading in kills or digs or assists from set to set and match to match.

The Tar Heel volleyball team is deep. They are talented across the roster. That lone loss could sting for a while, but it might be hard for someone else to defeat them.

UNC