‘HB2 is state-sponsored discrimination’: U.S. Attorney General speaks about law

Attorney General Loretta Lynch held a news conference on Monday

Attorney General Loretta Lynch says North Carolina’s HB2, which restricts bathroom access for transgender people, is discrimination sponsored by the state.

In a news conference this afternoon, Lynch said: “Today, we are filing a federal civil rights lawsuit against the State of North Carolina, Governor Pat McCrory, the North Carolina Department of Public Safety and the University of North Carolina. We are seeking a court order declaring the law discriminatory as well as a bar on it.

Loretta Lynch spoke at a news conference on Monday afternoon

“We retain the option of curtailing federal funding to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety and the University of North Carolina as this case proceeds.”

Earlier today, McCrory filed a lawsuit against the DOJ. He asked the federal government to rule that HB2 is non-discriminatory.

The UNC system would potentially lose billions of dollars in annual federal funding if HB2 is not repealed.

Lynch spoke to the transgender community by saying: “We see you, we stand with you and we will do everything we can to protect you.”

UNC